Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnojr
    • Jun 2004

Get started making DVDs?

In a nutshell, I want to take movies and TV shows from my RePlayTVs and burn them onto DVD. So far, everything I've found vastly simplifies the process, or goes into hopeless detail. So far, here's what I've got:

After extracting the .mpg file, it needs to be edited to remove commercials, etc. I've used Womble MPEG Wizard, but it doesn't have a frame-by-frame way to edit that I can find. That makes transitions very choppy. I need a tool that will let me go frame-by-frame, preferably for free.

After editing, the .mpg file needs to be demuxed. DVD-Lab tries to do this, but gives an error message about a wrongly named ac3 file. Searching for that led me to "Use TMPGEnc instead". Why? Is there something else I should be doing? And, again, is there a free tool that'll do this?

I've also been told that a "time-based corrector" would be a very good thing to have. Either a $400 box, or a $300 JVC VCR. Why? What would this do? Is there software that'll do whatever it is?

Then, the DVD needs to be created. DVD-Lab has been recommended by several people. But the fact that it won't demux properly makes me suspicious.

I just want to create a few DVDs here and there. I don't want to spend hundreds or thousands on software full of bells and whistles that I have no idea what they do.
Working...