X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chetnet
    • Jul 2004

Best VCR/VHS Capture ?

Hi All!

Have about 10 VHS tapes that I would like to get onto DVD. The only thing I need is the hardware, basically, to capture to the computer in avi format. Since I only have about 10 tapes, at most, I don't want to spend more than $50. What are the experiences out there for best value/quality?

I see that I can get the WinTV USB for $30 after rebates this week, but it appears it only has mono audio. That's not a big concern if it does justice on the video quality. Any experience with this?

Thanks,
    Chet

PS. I've burned a few DVD's already from my digital camcorder so I have the rest of the process fairly down. ;o)
  • YesRushGen
    • Jul 2004

I'm really new at this stuff, so I might be off here.

Anyways, in all of my recent research, I've learned that if your Digital Camcorder (Firewire?) has standard A/V inputs, then the camera itself can serve as the capture device.

Just hook up the VCR to it, hook the camera to the PC, and use it as a pass-through.

Hope that helps!

Comment

• chetnet
      • Jul 2004

Thanks, but it doesn't have A/V inputs, just the outs.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

Then you will have to get an external capturing device that supports USB II/Firewire, but you will be hard pressed to find a good one for under $130.00.

Comment

• YesRushGen
          • Jul 2004

I myself just plopped down $270 US for an ADVC-100!

I'm happy with it so far, but I'm having major trouble selecting Capture/Editing/Authoring software. There are SO many choices.

Comment

• chetnet
            • Jul 2004

Ormonde,

Are you saying that devices under $70, like WinTV and Dazzle's, will make the lousy quality of VHS even worse? Hard to believe I can't do what I want to do for under $50. I already have all the software I need. Thanks.

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"Are you saying that devices under $70, like WinTV and Dazzle's, will make the lousy quality of VHS even worse?"

Quite possibly, but visual quality is a subjective issue. However, why not try to do the best you can to at least "Maintain" the original quality of your VHS tapes when transfering to digital. Remember, you are not going to get any better quality than what your source material is.

Comment

• chetnet
                • Jul 2004

"....why not try to do the best you can to at least "Maintain" the original quality of your VHS tapes when transfering to digital. Remember, you are not going to get any better quality than what your source material is."

Yes, I know and agree, which is why I can't believe I can't "Maintain" VHS quality for less than $50. Guess I can always try and take it back in a week if looks worse than original.

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"Guess I can always try and take it back in a week if looks worse than original."

That sounds like the best solution to test it.

Comment

Working...