• Show
Clear All
  • Pxxx
    • Jan 2004

which resolution to use?

Hi,

I have an DivX AVI file at 672 x 368.

I want to put it on a DVD.

I'm using TMPGEnc to encode the video to a DVD compliant MPEG2 file at res. of 720 x 576 ( .m2v )

The problem is that I don't think the m2v file looks as good as the avi file. It looks great when I encode it at 672 x 368, but that isn't allowed by the authoring software.

The question is, what resolution should I encode to? will 352 give me better results.

Oh and I'm working with a PAL system here in australia if that makes any difference to your answers.

Cheers
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"what resolution should I encode to? will 352 give me better results."

You are not going get better "Visual" results than your original Dvix file. I would stick to using the DVD template in TMPGEnc for "PAL" or PAL (low resolution-352x288 25fps).

Comment

• Pxxx
      • Jan 2004

Ok so I'm better off just playing my divx from my computer instead of spending hours encoding and fixing subtitles.

I thought that i would be able to maintain the same "visual" result, I didn't expect it to be better than the divx. But I don't see any point in spending hours fiddling and tweaking only to end up with a lower quality result.

I have a composite video out on my VGA card and a long cable that runs down the hall to my TV so I guess I'll just stick to that.

Surely there must be a way to maintain the same quality though, maybe i need a more expensive encoder.

"what resolution should I encode to? will 352 give me better results."

What I meant to ask:

will I get a better result from scaling up from 672 x 368 to 720 x 576 or from scaling down to 352x288?

If anyone can explain this a bit better to me I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Surely there must be a way to maintain the same quality though"

You should be able to maintain good enough quality where you won't be able to see the difference between the original Divx video and the encoded mpeg, but I stress the point again that it won't be in any way "Better" than the original.

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

do a 2-pass VBR encoding with tmpgenc, on "high quality" or "highest quality", while resizing at 720x576... it will take QUITE some time to complete the encoding process, but i think you will be satisfied by the results... i have converted i think about 45 divx/xvid to dvd, and the difference in quality is indistinguishable on my tv.

good luck
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Pxxx
            • Jan 2004

Cool that sounds good I'll give it a try

thanks ziadost

Comment

• ziadost
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

no problem