Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squeamish
    • Feb 2002

DivX too dark.

OK, I admit that I haven't read all the links about divX encoding, so I'm sorry if I'm asking some obvious stuff

Basically, I'm trying to convert a DVD to 2-pass DivX 4.02 using FlaskMPEG 0.6, and I have a few problems.

1) The output AVI is very dark. If I put the media player window next to the Flask window, there is a very visible difference in brightness.

2) Am I correct in understanding that you can't set the bit rate ro 2-pass encoding? I understand how VMA encoded MP3s work, and I'm assuming that that's how 2-pass DivX works as well. The thing is, I figured there'd be *some* way to set the quality of the output. I say this because I'm getting an output file of like 900 megs, and since I'm going to have to use 2 CDs anyway, I'd like to be able to raise the quality some(the quality seems to look worse than other DivX stuff I've seen).

Thanks.
  • zoli
    not sure
    • Jan 2002

1. Add a gain in brightness of 20-25%.
    2. No, you arent. You can set the bitrate in the codec config window, the higher, the more quality you should get. Also, set the performance/quality to slowest, that's supposed to give you more quality as well. Care should be taken with setting the frame compression ratios, though according to Nicky Pages, the default quantizers (min. 2 and max 12) should be ok. As long as I can remember, a readme of the codec says that after you have done the first pass, you may still change the bitrate at the second pass, you dont need to do both passes again for different bitrates.

cheers,

z.

Comment

• Squeamish
      • Feb 2002

Thanks for replying.

Originally posted by zoli
      1. Add a gain in brightness of 20-25%.
      OK, I spent a while trying to figure this out. At this point I'm guessing this cannot be done from within Flask? I'll try using Virtual Dub for this.

2. No, you arent. You can set the bitrate in the codec config window, the higher, the more quality you should get. Also, set the performance/quality to slowest, that's supposed to give you more quality as well. Care should be taken with setting the frame compression ratios, though according to Nicky Pages, the default quantizers (min. 2 and max 12) should be ok. As long as I can remember, a readme of the codec says that after you have done the first pass, you may still change the bitrate at the second pass, you dont need to do both passes again for different bitrates.
      Ah, OK, thanks. I feel stupid now. I assumed that setting an explicit bitrate wouldn't do anything in a variable bitrate format. I should have done a little test or somethig, though. After testing this, I see that you're right.

Thanks again.

Comment

• zoli
        not sure
        • Jan 2002

If you change from using flask 0.6 to some other flask derivative, like xmpeg, there you can set the brightness also.
        But if you are going to use VirtualDub for encoding, you can also use its filters to gain brightness, or, if you are frameserving the descrambled vobs via dvd2avi eg., there you can also set the brightness.
        My practice is to add brightness via dvd2avi, so that I don't stress my anyway poor fps rate in Vdub.

cheers,

z.

Comment

Working...