Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john8248
    • Feb 2002

Need cutting help!!!

I am trying to make VCD's from DivX movies. I have used Virtual Dub to cut the DivX files in half and then converted them to MPEG-1/NTSC using TMPGEnc. I have also used TMPGEnc to convert the files and then cut them. I then burn the MPEG-1 files to CD-R's using NERO in VCD format. Both methods give me Disk Ones that play in my DVD Player (Apex brand), but both give me Disk Two's that play video that skips thru the CD in 10 second intervals showing a few frames at a time without any audio. I have tried this process with three different DivX DVD-RIP movies, using three different brands of CD-R's, and using several different Newbie Help guides (from here and VCDHelp.com). I am using a Sony Vaio 1.8GHz processor and 512MB RAM under Windows XP. I downloaded all the programs I am using within the past month and believe they are the newest versions.

I figure that the problem must be in the cutting process, but I can't figure out how to fix it. Please help! I am pulling my hair out and don't have too much left!!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have used Virtual Dub to cut the DivX files in half"

Have you made certain that you are cutting on a keyframe?

Comment

• john8248
      • Feb 2002

No, I'm not sure what a keyframe is. How can I tell what frames are keyframes in TMPGEnc or Virtual Dub?

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

• john8248
        • Feb 2002

Ahhh, I found the definition of keyframes (the jumping every 10 seconds now makes sense) and the keyframe forward and back buttons in Virtual Dub. I am trying it now.

Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Basically, you want to cut a vcd file. For this purpose, I personally prefer the TMPGEnc cutting feature---I find it easier to use.

Comment

• john8248
            • Feb 2002

How do you know where the keyframes are when cutting MPEG 1 files with TMPGEnc?

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

I cut at midway (half way through the movie). However, you can cut at any point, I don't seem to have any problem.

Comment

• john8248
                • Feb 2002

I finally figured out that the problem actually seems to be with my APEX DVD player. I finally tried burning to a CD-RW, and it worked in my Sony DVD player. The Apex player consistently is unable to play second halves of movies that I have cut with virtual Dub on keyframes or cut with TMPGEnc. Yet the same second half on a CD-RW works in the Sony? Could this be a bad individual DVD player, or bad DVD programming?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Could this be a bad individual DVD player...?"

In light of the fact that you've indicated that a different (standalone, I presume) player handles the disks without problems, I'd guess that the answer to your question is probably, "Yes"... - Actually it seems that virtually every standalone (even different machines of the same model!) have their own sensitivities, likes, and dislikes.

Comment

Working...