Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goken
    • Feb 2002

All manner of avi divx problems

There is one file in particular that I spent the last week downloading, only to discover I did not have the proper "codec" to play it. I discoveved that it was an avi of type div-3. So I went and downloaded the codec, and it plays... BADLY.

Apparently this problem is common... it keeps getting stuck. So I found this page: http://www.digital-digest.com/suppor...age&page_id=22
    I got the anti-freeze filter, but all that does is let me watch it like its a slide show, and the sound becomes totally out of sync. The other things that page tells how to do, I don't know how to do.

"Lowering the smoothness setting on the DivX codec and using a higher bitrate can help to stop this happening usually 75% is enough. If you set the Fast Motion codec to a minimum of 1500-2000kbps this will happen much less. And never use the Low Motion codec under about 600kbps. "

What does all that mean, and how do I change it?
    Also, is it a problem if I installed the divx 4 codec and told it to play all divx files? I reinstalled the old one just in case, but I dunno if that will help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Also, is it a problem if I installed the divx 4 codec and told it to play all divx files?"

YES! You should have answered with a resounding "NO!" to the question, "Do you want DivX 4.xx to play v.3.11 files?"

Uninstall both the 3.11alpha codec and the DivX 4.xx codec - and this time answer, "NO!".

Then (first) reinstall the DivX v.3.11alpha codec.
    Then reinstall the v.4.xx codec - and answer "NO!"
    Last edited by setarip; 25 Feb 2002, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Goken
      • Feb 2002

ok, but...

Ok, did that.

So, does anyone know about how to change smoothness or bitrate and whatnot? Like, what program or menu do I need to use?

How do I make sure a file is using the right codec decompressor?

If it helps, I have an old computer... Win95, 100 Pentium, 80 megs of ram. Could any of that be a problem? Other AVI files play fine.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

If you want to check what codec is being used, WMP6.4 can do the job. Play the file, open File --> properties and choose the Advanced tab. There you will find the filters in use. Hopefully I got your question right.

By the way, the Pentium100 is probably too old and slow to play DivX files. You're not going to get any enjoyment out of watching it.

Comment

• Goken
          • Feb 2002

Cool, it says divx 3.11, so that musta worked. So do divx files really take much more power to play than the microsoft ones? Cause all those other avi files play easy. I'd like to try those strategies if I can figure out how, even if my computer turns out to be too week.

Comment

• zoli
            not sure
            • Jan 2002

"Lowering the smoothness setting on the DivX codec and using a higher bitrate can help to stop this happening usually 75% is enough. If you set the Fast Motion codec to a minimum of 1500-2000kbps this will happen much less. And never use the Low Motion codec under about 600kbps. "

double quote from you and Nicky Pages

Well, that only stands for encoding. If you're just playing the movie, this shouldn't be your concern, only make sure you have the right codecs and a fast enough iron behind it.

To enhance playback integrity, you could decrease resolution and the post-processing settings fo the codec.

z.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Exactly.

Also, I still say that a P100 is rather too old to play DivX clips. There's bound to be lots of stuttering, or worse, still picture with stuttering sound.

If you're really that eager, playing the clip with WMP6.4 (Fast & simple) and with all the post-processing filter settings set to 0 will get you the most optimal settings, though it's not going to make it that much better for your system. Overclocking may be a viable, albeit risky, option.

Comment

Working...