Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliepd
    • Oct 2004

AVI Files - XVid and DivX5

Just bought a new DVD player here in the UK - a Tangent D400 which plays all the regional dvd movies I have at present including some SVCD's sent from the FarEast. Also plays jpeg's and MP3's.
    Discovered that it also plays an avi files that I was given a few months ago. This is in the format DivX5 xvid. However it won't play another avi file which ia an Xvid MPEG-4. Yet both play on my pc with the Divx player.
    Told I need a new codex [?] or to re-encode it. I suppose the question is how do I convert any files from their original state to play on this dvd? the player says that it will take the following-
    MPEG4 3.11 & MPEG4.4xx & MPEG4.5xx
  • Floppy

Hello

There is a good reason why it plays .AVI and not xvid mpeg-4

Look here for an explanation

There are newer player out there that will play even the newest mpeg-4 format though

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

Comment

• charliepd
      • Oct 2004

thanx for that I found that saving the vids to a cdr via NERO actually allowed them all to play!!
      amazing but true
      thanx again

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"the player says that it will take the following-
        MPEG4 3.11 & MPEG4.4xx & MPEG4.5xx"

I would sooner believe that it says, "DivX 3.11, DivX 4.xxx, and DivX v.5.xxx"

By the way, I'm sure "Floppy" meant to say, "why it plays DivX and not xvid mpeg-4" and NOT, "why it plays .AVI and not xvid mpeg-4" - since BOTH DivX and XviD files are in .AVI "containers"...
        Last edited by setarip; 26 Oct 2004, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by charliepd
          thanx for that I found that saving the vids to a cdr via NERO actually allowed them all to play!!
          amazing but true
          thanx again
          That is because Nero most likely converted the files for you before burning them.

Having Read more about your player here I found that it should play all previous Mpeg-4 versions i.e. 3xx, 4xx, 5xx.???.

To setarip

Thanks for the correction, your right, one word or the lack of can certainly confuse things , also the above link mentions Mpeg-4 3xx, 4xx, and 5xx it does on the top Mention Divx, peculiar but true. It is all in the wording.

Good things
          Last edited by Guest; 26 Oct 2004, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...