Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJS
    • Mar 2002

Headphone use with DVDcdrom...

I'm new here so I am not sure whether this is right place to request help - but I thought I would give it a try. My problem is that I can't hear sound when using my headphones, but I hear sound from the external speakers on my pc just fine. I had the same problem when I played music cd in my nec cdrom drive. To correct that problem I had to go in and change the playback option in properties for this drive from digital to analog.

I did the same for my dvd-rom drive (liteon/atapi dvd drive), but it made no difference. So at this point I am assuming that either I am out of luck a can't use my headphones to listen to a movie or there is something else I need to look for. But, I don't know what.... Anyone have any suggestions?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If possible, you've probably got to connect your DVDRom to your sound card's audio out...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

...can't use my headphones to listen to a movie...
      You definitely won't hear a sound when playing a DVD movie from the drive. Theoretically, you can only use the headphone jack for audio CDs (Correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps either your headphone or the jack itself is malfunctioning? Try using a different set of headphones or speakers.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"You definitely won't hear a sound when playing a DVD movie from the drive.(Correct me if I'm wrong)"

Then why would WinDVD 3.xx provide audio settings for "Dolby Headphones" (Which I use frequently)?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Thanks for the correction, Setarip.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

By the way, I was refering to the headphone jack on the DVD drive, not from the soundcard. Was there a misunderstanding?

Comment

• DJS
              • Mar 2002

Hi there setarip & enchanter,

Thanks so very much for your much needed help. Last night, I tried a music cd in the dvd drive and it worked with my headphones (after changing the property setup it to analog). At least that proved to me that the jack was working.

The company I bought my computer from advised me that they knew of only two ways to get my headphones to work with dvd's. 1st way was to plug headphones into the speaker port on the back of the pc or if the subwoofer had a jack port to use it. Since my speakers doesn't have such a port, I guess I'll have to go to Radio Shack to see if there is a cable (Y type) available - so I can plug both the speakers and the headphones into, so I wouldn't have to keep unplugging and plugging stuff all the time.

But, it looks like there is another option. He noted that "WinDvd 3.xx provides audio settings for "dolby headphones"". I believe I have a WinDvd cd disk that came with my pc - I am not sure of the version. I'll check that tonight and I hope that I have version 3.xx.

Many thanks again. I'll let you both know what I find.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Just need this clarified,

Were you trying to use the headphone jack on the DVD drive or from the soundcard (aka the back of your PC)?

Comment

• DJS
                  • Mar 2002

On the dvd drive itself.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

He noted that "WinDvd 3.xx provides audio settings for "dolby headphones"".

I believe if you scroll up, you'll note that I mentioned that in my previous post to you...

Comment

• DJS
                      • Mar 2002

??? I know - but I was just replying to Enchanter's question to clarify above.

Comment

Working...