Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeSh.
    • Dec 2004

*.mswmm to DVD help

Hi folks, yes a total NOOB here... Just so you know I've been reading this forum and others but haven't been able to answer my questions, so here you go.

I've D'Ld about 30 gigs of mini-DV tapes (3 tapes) from my camcorder to my PC using Windows Movie Maker(WMM). The first tape I saved as a large NTSC file and it has the extension of .MSWMM. The other 2 I did as an *.AVI files.

Using WMM I then created a movie and saved it to the HDD as a .WMV file. I was able to burn this to a DVD using either Nero or MyDVD, I forget which, and this plays on a PC with Windows media player.

It won't play on my standalone DVD players.

What do I have to do to convert these WMM (*.MSWMM) files to a DVD that will play on standalone players?

I know, I know, don't use WMM

If I were to start all over what software would you recommend for an all-in-one package? Download from camera, save as, and burn to DVD. A DVD that will play in most TV standalone players.

Nero 6.6 Ultra looks like it would do the job but is it any good? A cheaper way to go?

Thanks people.

My system, AMD 3200+, 1gig ddr PC3200 memory, 160gig HDD dedicated to video, XP Sp1. NEC 3500A DVD burner.

MikeS.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Not sure on what software to use over all but, you need to convert to a mpeg compatible VCD for it to play on your DVD Player. Assuming that you DVD player plays VCD. TMPGEnc is what I personally use to convert .avi files to compatible .mpeg files that will play on a stand alone DVD player.

You can download TMPGEnc here: http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Comment

• MikeSh.
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jmet
      Not sure on what software to use over all but, you need to convert to a mpeg compatible VCD for it to play on your DVD Player. Assuming that you DVD player plays VCD. TMPGEnc is what I personally use to convert .avi files to compatible .mpeg files that will play on a stand alone DVD player.

You can download TMPGEnc here: http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
      Thanks jmet.

What format is a commercial dvd movie in?

Is VCD a DVD disk? The name vCD confuses me.

I'd like to be able to burn home movies for distribution to family all over the country includng most parts of Texas

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"What format is a commercial dvd movie in?"
        Enhanced capability MPEG-2

"Is VCD a DVD disk?"
        No - it's a much lower resolution format (MPEG-1-VideoCD) intended for burning to CDs, NOT DVDs

For what you are trying to accomplish, one set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• MikeSh.
          • Dec 2004

Thanks setarip, good easy to follow directions. I was able to take one (so far) of the AVI files I created with WMM when I d'ld my video tapes and have been running it through TMPGEnc to convert it.

I had to leave for work and left it to run. When I get home in the morning I'll try the next steps.

Thanks again for the help!

MikeS.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip, good easy to follow directions."

MY pleasure ;>}

Comment

• MikeSh.
              • Dec 2004

Things worked out pretty well. I found that TMPGend didn't like the .AVI files created by WMM. I had to recapture the DV tapes, I used Nero for this. Once I used Nero the TMPGenc encoded them into MPEG files nicely. Although it takes 2+ hours to do so.

I used TMPGenc Author 1.6 to format them, edit and make the VOB files needed for burning. Went back to Nero and burned them.

Thanks for the help people. I'm now mailing out home movies to bore the family and friends.

Mike

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

Glad you got everything worked out.

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MikeSh.
                  I used TMPGenc Author 1.6 to format them, edit and make the VOB files needed for burning. Went back to Nero and burned them.
                  You said earlier you have XP? TMPGEnc DVD Author can burn the DVD without going back to Nero
                  This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• MikeSh.
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sfheath
                    You said earlier you have XP? TMPGEnc DVD Author can burn the DVD without going back to Nero
                    I know, I'm use to Nero and didn't have to learn another new step. I'm in techno overload already and need all the breaks I can get. After I get a few more of these conversions done I'll learn about burning with TDA.

Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

• sfheath
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MikeSh.
                      I know, I'm use to Nero and didn't have to learn another new step. I'm in techno overload already and need all the breaks I can get. After I get a few more of these conversions done I'll learn about burning with TDA.

Thanks for the tip though.
                      It's two clicks - honest! .. and they're both on the left

Comment

• MikeSh.
                        • Dec 2004

It's two clicks - honest! .. and they're both on the left
                        Ok, Ok...Twist my arm. I'll give it a try when I get home in the morning.

I left the PC running an encode to mpeg to work on when I get home.

Comment

• MikeSh.
                          • Dec 2004

So I got home and my PC was locked up tight, again. It had got about 21% of the file encoded and then froze. The CPU is running at 100% for a long time and I'm pretty sure it is getting too hot.

So since I was close to a CompUSA store Tu afternoon I stop in and get a faster CPUfan on a copper heatsink. I was using an old cheapie with an Al. heatsink. Got home Tu night and put in the new fan. Can't get the computer to power up for more then 1 second. Total bummer.

After trying all I know I call a friend. He advises me to unplug the
                          power lead to the MB. This will reset the MB. Yipee! it worked.

Now I'm running about 7degrees cooler and the PC is staying on, not locking up on me.

MikeS.

Comment

• sfheath
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Sep 2003

Yup, movie processing sure 'finds' the machines with poor cooling!

Comment

• MikeSh.
                              • Dec 2004

Yup, movie processing sure 'finds' the machines with poor cooling!
                              I'll say, I knew I was running a warm machine anyways and had added 2 extra case fans not long after building my machine.

If this doesn't work out I'll be looking for a water cooler.

I'm also thinking about upgrading the MB and CPU, AMD64 here I come....

Comment

Working...