Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pulse32382
    • Dec 2004

Can't Rebuild AVI Index

I downloaded an AVI. The download was incomplete. It is Farily large 200+MB. I really don't want to d/l it again. I tried rebuilding the index with DivFix. When I try to open the file with DivFix, or VirtualDub, or even AVIFiXP, it just hangs, 4 ever.
    AVIFiXP, installs into the windows shell, so when I right click on an AVI in Explorer I get the option to either check for errors or to rebuild the index, thats the closest I get to fixing it and that still doesnt work. AVIFiXP will actually load when run this way and won't hang, it processes the AVI file, and when it gets to the end of either Checking for errors/Rebuilding the index, it gives me the msg "Unexpected end of file". I Did some browsing, and thought the file attrib. werent set properly, due to it being an incomplete d/l. still nothing, any help would be great.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you're at a dead end...

Comment

• pulse32382
      • Dec 2004

ok, well thanks anyway

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"thanks anyway"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• mikeylikess99
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Sep 2003

avi movie

hi there have an avi movie, thats bad in some spots. ive tryed to yuse divfix, and it doesnt repair the file. i can watchh the file in its entirety with vlc player, a couple spots being bad to watch. is there a proggie that will fix all out there. . id post a screen shot of the info that both vdm and gspot gave me. .but im not famaliar how to do that. i tryed savin a screen shot and when i tryed openin it..it was all unreadable.thanks in advance.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

same ones as the other day?

read this to find out how to do screenshots, attachment will be fine too

since you can't even scan the file with vdub, mask it, and divfix can't do it: these files are damaged badly. the only other thing i can suggest is "cut" the sections out, and splice everything together...i have done this in the past and can be done.
            Last edited by LT. Columbo; 11 Aug 2005, 05:05 AM.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mikeylikess99
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Sep 2003

avi

hey Lt..yeah its the same one as yesterday. im convinced its fixable....with the rite process..

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

did you try virtualdub to mask the bad frames ?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

he tried tig, it won't even get to that point, it always crashes vdub on the scan---the file has very badly damaged frames...
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

if divfix does not work, AND it crashes vdub, it may simply be an "ogm" file, renamed as an avi. the only way i know how to rebuild an ogm index is just cut out the individual 'chunks' at keyframes in virtualdubmod...

make sure you use the keys "shift + (arrow keys left or right)" to navigate to closest keyframes, use "home" and "end" to mark cutting positions, select direct stream copy, and save as avi. repeat for every 'chunk' of video available in the file. sorry mate, that's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
                    Last edited by anonymez; 11 Aug 2005, 11:06 AM.
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

that's why i gave the link...

"read this to find out how to do screenshots, attachment will be fine too
                      http://forum.digital-digest.com/sho...&threadid=45405"
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Sep 2003

work-avi

Originally Posted by anonymez
                        if divfix does not work, AND it crashes vdub, it may simply be an "ogm" file, renamed as an avi. the only way i know how to rebuild an ogm index is just cut out the individual 'chunks' at keyframes in virtualdubmod...

make sure you use the keys "shift + (arrow keys left or right)" to navigate to closest keyframes, use "home" and "end" to mark cutting positions, select direct stream copy, and save as avi. repeat for every 'chunk' of video available in the file. sorry mate, that's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
                        hey guys thans for the response. just a question before i do that frame work anyn. will i loose that particular scene. think there were 8 errors reported with divfix. overall quality of the movie is great. id post a screenie to help with the analysis but cant figure out how to save one properly. when i use vdub im gettin that memory error message. using div fix it shortened the file a bit but its still needs repair in that scene if possible. thanx in advance guys.maybe we will get it yet...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

if you truly can't provide an attachment or screenshot, then could you type out what you see in vdubs audio and video info under "file information"?
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                            if you truly can't provide an attachment or screenshot, then could you type out what you see in vdubs audio and video info under "file information"?
                            not saying i cant do the screen shot post. i can save the info , but when i look at it it unreadable,hence makes me think its not worth posting. doesnt look no weres near like the screenies ive seen here. ok give me 15 min. and u will have a statistical analysis from both vhdub, and gspot thankyou.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

post it anyway, i can use zoom here....
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...