Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob565656
    • Feb 2005

fitting avis onto a dvd

hey guys, im rather new at this so ill explain what I want to accomplish. Im a big anime fan, and my hd is getting full. So i wanted to burn my episodes onto dvd. Im looking to fit at least 20ish onto 1 dvd. I started using nerovision xpress, and it would allow like 4 at max on one dvd, even at the lowest quality of like 1600kbps. The problem is that most of my avis are at most 200kbps. How can I dodge this problem and add more avis to a single dvd?

If there is an answer to this, please explain a detailed process, including any essential or worth dling software i mite need. Thank alot guys. Cya
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

If you want to retain decent video quality, around 4 .avi files is as many as you are going to fit on 1 single sided DVD-R.

Comment

• Bob565656
      • Feb 2005

i want to have like 20 on one dvd, the bitrate on my avis are quite low and i can afford a drop in quality.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

If the average file size of your .avi files is 700 to 800 MB, the most you will be able to fit is 4.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Do you wish to simply burn the .AVIs, in their present .AVI format, to DVds or convert them to DVD format?

Comment

• Bob565656
            • Feb 2005

i want it to play in a dvd player, so i would assume i would have to convert to dvd format

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

In that case, you only be able to fit 1 after converting. Possibly 2 depending on file size, although I am not sure as I have never done it.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"so i would assume i would have to convert to dvd format"

Not necessarily. There is now a healthy selection of lower priced DVD players that are capable of playing back .AVIs (DivX-compressed or otherwise), such as the Phillips DVP642 at approximately $70U.S....

(If you have or should obtain such a DVD player, you should be able to fit at least 6 typical [700Mb each] .AVIs on a DVD. The smaller the average filesize, the more .AVIs you can fit on one DVD)
                Last edited by setarip; 28 Feb 2005, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Bob565656
                  • Feb 2005

lets put it like this, when u buy season 10 of sinpsons, it comes with dvds, each having at least 10 eps on it, i want to accomplish something like this

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

Let me put it like this, those disc are not standard single layer disc 5 disc's that you buy at your local Best Buy. They are double layer disc either single sided or double sided. That is how they fit that much video on those disc. Typically all you have to work with is a single layer standard 4.7GB disc. Unless you have a dual layer burner with some blank Disc 18 disc, I regret to inform you, that you will not be able to accomplish the task you are wanting to do.

(your task = converting 20 .avi files to DVD and fitting them all on 1 disc)
                    Last edited by jmet; 28 Feb 2005, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Bob565656
                      • Feb 2005

ic, i wasnt aware of that. can you explain sumthin though. most of the programs I am using are setting the lowest possible bitrate of video to burn at like 1600kbps. Is there no way to reduce this amount to sumthing like 300kbps, thus rendering more space on the dvd?

Comment

• reboot
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2004

Try using tmpgenc with a KDVD (or KVCD) template. You can (if done right) fit 16 hours on one dvdr at about VHS quality.
                        My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• Bob565656
                          • Feb 2005

yes!!

excellent, thats exactly what i was looking for, thx a lot

Comment

• reboot
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2004

You're welcome
                            My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

Working...