Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • S7NNER
    • Mar 2002

VHS capture, bad colour, noisey.. help!

hi, i'm completely new to capturing & dvix so bear with me.

I've just captured a home movie on VHS and its pretty shocking.
    The colour saturation is overwhelming and there is audio noise, hissing, not to mention when person speaks its not as sharp as it should be. I just want to know how i would get rid of these minor issues.

1. firstly.... i've tried Primiere6, Studio7 & virtual dub... It wont let me capture in 640x480@25fps (PAL)!!! only virtualVCR allows this but results are not as good as it should be... i have a pixelview BT878 card. Is there something that i am missing to allow me to capture 640 in virtualdub???

2. With the filters, it is better to actually fix the hue,sat, intensity before the capture? ie on the screen OR filter it out afterwards with VirtualDub.

3. With the audio, the dullness of people's voices and the background hissing and noise, is there anyway to reduce this before the capture? (the VHS is not crystal clear but is not as bad when captured either).
    In addition to the sharpness(?) of voices... is there any filter to fix this or re-construct it?

4. What filters do i need to get rid of TV scanlines? i capture at 640x480@25fps (PAL). I've read that the internal deinterlace shouldn't be used??? What should i used instead? Shaun Faulds-Deinterlace MAP OR Donald Graft-Smart Deinterlacing Filter.

also correct me as i am probably wrong =)... should i perhaps use another filter to sharpen the video AFTER deinterlace? such as the XSharpen filter or Steven Don's Dynamic Noise Reduction Filter?

thanks for the help guys,
    Jim
  • MaynardSlim
    • Feb 2002

Try this Link

Digital Digest DivX XviD Articles, Guides Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI articles, guides and reviews , latest news and updates

There are a couple of guides on VHS video capture that may help you understand the process better.

Just a guess, but you may want to mute all the items on your Windows sound mixer device that you are not using during capture. I find that this reduces noise and hiss from some sound cards.

Comment

Working...