Download movie, burn it to dvd but sound not in sync with lips.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watsonslte
    • Mar 2005

Download movie, burn it to dvd but sound not in sync with lips.

I can download movies but when I spend the time to convert with nero, burn it and go to watch it, I seem to be losing syncronization of lips and words. The sound is delayed about a second or two. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Please help me.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Please read Rule 6.

If said movie plays ok in your computer you should find a lot of help by searching with say, 'sync' as a keyword.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• reboot
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2004

Don't jump on the guy, maybe he downloaded it from www.videoarchive.com
      My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Hmm, strange .. couldn't see any downloadable movies there
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• reboot
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2004

ok, brain fart...should have been http://www.archive.org/movies/movies.php

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

Plus his post is ambiguous - it might fir into acceptable or unacceptable according to this.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• PenPal1999
              • Apr 2005

Audio out of sync: (Solution / Solved).

Audio out of sync when burning AVI to DVD from Nero 6.
              (Solution / Solved).

Over the past few months I have been experiencing a problem with the synchronisation of Audio when burning some AVI files into DVD format.

After searching the web and a lot of trial and error(s), I have now got a solution that has worked on my last 5 AVI to DVD burns, where the sync problem had previously occurred.

Now this solution will only work for AVI (and I think Mpeg) files that the ‘sync’ in the original file is correctly-in-sync, but after burning to DVD, goes more and more out-of-sync over the length of the movie. This problem is not directly linked to Nero, but more to the codecs that Nero uses so any burning software can suffer from the same problem.

After a lot of searches on the web it became clear that this problem was being caused by the compression used for the audio in the original AVI file, and the Codecs that are used to uncompress and recompress during the DVD burn stage. So the easy way to solve the problem is to remove compression all together from the original
              AVI file.

1. Download: VirtualDub 1.6.5 (Experimental). This can be found here: http://www.soft32.com/download-VirtualDub-81642-5.html but can be found in a lot of places on the web. It is one of the best free!! bits of software for modifying Video files, and support a good number of different formats including AVI, Mpeg and Dat files. Extract all the files from the ‘VirtualDub-1.6.5.zip’ into a directory and just run the ‘VirtualDub.exe’. This is the only bit of software that is required to fix the sync problem. (P.S. As this is a experimental / beta bit of software, if you have problems running it then simply get version 1.5.? (Release Version), as I think it will work just as good, but I have not tested this.
              2. After VirtulDub is up and running, load your original File in [File/ Open Video File…]. At this point you may see a message box warning of a potential problem with the header. This will occur with most AVI file that would go out of sync if converted, and is one of the main reasons the sync goes out after being burned to DVD but is in sync when played from the original file (the other reason being frame rate, but lets not go there as changing frame rate is a nightmare, and this seams to fix the problem regardless of the rate).
              3. The message box will state how to fix the problem by uncompressing to wav and recompressing, which in a way is what we are going to do (but missing out the recompressing part).
              4. From the drop-down-menu, select: [Audio / Full Processing Mode]. This will enable other items on the Audio menu (including the Compression item).
              5. From the drop-down-menu, select: [Audio / Compression…]. This will display a ‘Select audio compression’ window.
              6. Select the compression type ‘<No compression (PCM)>’. This states that you do not want any compression.
              7. Now we need to save the audio (without any compression) to a WAV file. From the drop-down-menu, select: [File / Save WAV…]. Giving the name ‘YourMovieName.wav’. This will take a few minutes but you will get a wav file about 1.6 times the size of the original file (so make sure you have enough room on your hard-drive).
              8. Check the Wav file you have created by opening it (not in VirualDub yet). You should be checking that the sound sounds right. If it is noticeably fast or slow then you have either not done it right or your codecs are totally messed up. I can only suggest doing a search for ‘ACE Mega CoDecS Pack’ and installing that, as it has some very good codecs (and a few bad ones), but fixes more than it breaks (and it’s also free!!).
              9. Now we need to stick the new uncompressed audio back to the original file.
              10. Load your original Full AVI File in [File / Open Video File…] again (if you have previously closed it.)
              11. From the drop-down-menu, select: [Audio / WAV Audio]. This will display a file dialog requesting a WAV file to be used. Select the WAV file you have just created.
              12. From the drop-down-menu, select: [Audio / Interleaving…]. This will display the ‘Audio/Video Interleave Options’ screen.
              13. Set: Preload = 1000… Interleave audio every = 1 (frames)… Delay audio track by = 0 ms. And select ‘OK’. Almost done now…
              14. From the drop-down-menu, select: [Video / Direct Stream Copy]. This is quite important as it ensures that the video and audio does not go out of sync again. As the audio will now remain the same run time as the video.
              15. From the drop-down-menu, select: [File / Save As AVI…]. This will display a save dialog. IMPORTANT!!! ENTER A DIFFERENT NAME THAN THE ORIGINAL !!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL OVER-WRITE THE ORIGINAL AND IF IT HAS NOT WORKED CORRECTLY THEN YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY. I tend to use the name ‘OriginalName_Fixed.AVI’.
              16. Click Save, and keep your fingers crossed! After about 30 minutes or so you should now have a AVI file 3 times the size of the original. If you have a file 10+ times the size of the original then you have not done it right (you have not selected Direct Stream Copy in step 14). If you have a file the same size as the original then the audio was not uncompressed. Check what you done and try again.
              17. All you need to do now is check the new fixed AVI file, and burn it to DVD. Check the file all the way through and ensure that it is still ‘in-sync’ at the end of the movie before you burn it to DVD.
              18. When burning to DVD I usually set the audio to Stereo (from the video menu). But I don’t think this is necessary.

Good Luck and Happy burning.

P.S. I have seen some blogs on VCD going out of Sync. I don’t know, but I would suggest trying this to fix those problems too.

Eamon.

Comment

• PenPal1999
                • Apr 2005

Error in step 6 of my previous post. It should read:

6. Select the compression type (No compression (PCM)). This states that you do not want any compression.

Comment

• reboot
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2004

Please, please, don't download and install the "Ace Mega Codecs Pack", nor any other pack.
                  Do NOT install codecs you don't need, nor more than one version of any given codec.
                  If you NEED a codec, get Gspot to check the movie to find out which one, and download ONLY what you need.
                  The assumption that Ace "fixes more than it breaks" is treading on very thin ice.
                  17. All you need to do now is check the new fixed AVI file, and burn it to DVD. Check the file all the way through and ensure that it is still ‘in-sync’ at the end of the movie before you burn it to DVD.
                  Something is wrong here. You cannot (in most cases) simply "burn it to DVD". I think you might just need to encode it to mpeg-2 and author it first...

Comment

• PenPal1999
                    • Apr 2005

Laugh out Loud, Hey Reboot thats why they call you an expert.

Don't burn it to DVD author and encode it, now why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Working...