X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meatball
    • Mar 2002

Sound Problem

Hi All,

Right from the start I would like to apologise for my ignorance (saves me doing it later on)
    I am a complete Newbie to this form of science. I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I have today successfully cut my first DivX avi file using Virtual dub 1.4 The file was cut in half and when i started playing the files all appeared perfect that is until approx half way through when I lose all sound.
    This occurs on both parts of the cut file up until this point the sync is perfect. I know you will probably need more info which I will try and supply if someone could give me a hand please.

Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Would be good to know how you cut the movie and whether you cut on a keyframe or not.

Comment

• Meatball
      • Mar 2002

yep, cut on a keyframe. followed 'Nickys' instructions to the letter

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try loading the original .AVI into VirtualDub. Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying". Save with a new filename.

Exit VirtualDub (as a precaution), then start it again.

Load your new file and do your segmenting.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Meatball
          • Mar 2002

Did as you said, unfortunately still same problem. One thing i noticed is that the original size of the file is 713 meg having run it through Virtualdub it then ends at 638 meg. Is that compression usual? (if it is compression)The whole film is there but after about a third of the way through sound cuts out.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

No, there shouldn't have been compression of that magnitude - unless (and this is what I was speculating) upon interleaving the audio with the video, VirtualDub came across large gaps in the audiostream.

Two things:

1) You haven't stated whether the original DivX-compressed .AVI file played properly throughout the ENTIRE file

2) You haven't indicated which codecs (video and audio) were used to create the .AVI. If you didn't create the .AVI yourself, load the original into VirtualDub and from the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information". Post EVERYTHING listed.

Comment

• shortstuff
              • Jan 2002

I had a similar problem using Vdub 1.4.7 . try updating it to 1.4.8, it will tell you if you have a problem with you audio.
              If so you need to seperate the audio & video, alter the compression rate to the audio & re-encode. Setarip guided me through this ages ago ..

Comment

• Meatball
                • Mar 2002

Downloaded V1.4.9 loaded file up got this message "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will re-write the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatability. This may introduce up to 0 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the entire audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and re-compress with a constant bitrate encoder"

Let the program run its course and Presto! a perfect split.
                Not that I pretend to understand a word of what it was telling me, being a thick newbie, but I intend to find out. So prepare yourselves for an onslaught of stupid questions in the future.
                Thanks to everyone who replied

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your difficulty ;>}

Comment

Working...