X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taimou
    • Mar 2002

Help spec a DVR video archive system

Hi all

I am looking at buying a new system. I would like to be able to record in real time to hard drive at quality equal to a decent stereo VCR.

I want to archive several hundred hours of videotape (for real) so achieving the best level of compression at the quality I am after is really important. (I am hoping I can do this with 2-3 80GB hard drives.)

I have never done any video encoding would love the benefit of your experience to spec my solution. TIA

My first question has to be, what sought of CPU/RAM/Hard drive do I need to capture PAL to Divx or MPEG-4 in real-time at the best level of compression at VCR quality?

I would prefer to use AMD for price/performance but I have read that P4 has better optimization for Divx and MPEG-4 encoding. Will an Athlon do what I am after?

For this application is there any advantage to using a decent Hauppauge or All-in-wonder card that has built in hardware to encode to MPEG2 Vs cheep TV in-out card and relying on the CPU for real-time compression.

That is, is there any advantage in using a hardware MPEG2 compression card to capture Divx/MPEG-4 in real time?

To achieve the best compression at VHS quality which codec is the best?

What sought of file size can I expect for 1 hour PAL video at same quality as a decent VCR?

Are there any MS restrictions on what you can do with mpeg-4? I.E. copy protection.

I would also like to be able to program the system to start recording a set times (like a VCR). What software is there that will do this and record straight to Divx/MPEG-4?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

The Pentium 4 is currently the best solution for video editing, in the desktop environment. To capture in real time divx or mepg 4 you would require a fast cpu (the fastest would be best) otherwise you will encounter numerous problems. Alternatively, as most people do, originally capture an uncompressed avi, then convert it to mpeg 4 or divx.

An Athlon may be good, they are fast and many people use them.

Several, hundred hours of video tape. Since you want high quality, I would recommend a greater hard drive, or at least a dvd burner or possibly a cd writer (due to monetary limitations).

A higher quality graphics card should technically produce a better capture. Geforce 3 or 4 might be a good option, or possibly the latest ATI All Wonder. Just to let you know, x-box uses Nvidia (makers of the Geforce series) technology while the gamcube employs ATI's workings.

I do not think you can capture directly in mpeg 4. Some time ago, I did hear of the "Flavor player" which enables mpeg 4 capture. Though it may be possible. Divx 3.11 alpha, is a close hack though.

1 hour could net a file size (in divx) of close to 200-340 mb or less (if you want it close to the original).

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

It is indeed possible to capture directly to divx3 or 4, but require a really fast cpu to do it at decent resolution.

Clearly lossless capture and reencode to divx is the best choice, I can capture at full res (704*576) with my celeron900 using a Matrox Marvel G450, using huffyuv for lossless compression.
      I use 2 60 GB 7200rpm HD's in a raid 0 configuration.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• taimou
        • Mar 2002

Hi

Thanks to Batman and khp for input.

Can anyone tell me what specific speed CPU I would need to capture in real time divx (5 maybe) Would for example an AMD 1600+ do it or a P4 1.6G.

Batman I did some research the "Flavor player" was only a media player. Thanks anyway.
        You can find info here if interested

khp what is huffyuv?

What capture software do you use with huffyuv?

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by taimou

khp what is huffyuv?

What capture software do you use with huffyuv?
          Huffyuv is a lossless vfw codec, it ususally achives a compression rate between 1:3 and 1:2 depending on the source. It can be used with any capture software that will let you select a vfw codec. Like virtualdub.

You can get it from the download section at www.doom9.org
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

There is only a minor difference in performance between the Athlon and p4. However, in media the P4 has a slight lead. I'm not sure about this, but you might be able to do it. Remember, the graphics card ( a good video card/ graphics card shares some of the processing witht the pc), and ram (amount and type e.g. ddr, sd, or rambus) should also be factored into the equation.

KHP's right, make sure you have raid in your new pc.

Comment

Working...