Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fifihump
    • Apr 2005

Help with burning AVIs to DVD

I know this problem has been asked before but i just couldn't seem to find an answer to help. How can i put my AVI files saved on my comp onto DVD?

Also i burned a DVD the other day but it wont play on my dvd player, jus cpmes up saying no disc inserted.

Cheers
    Fi
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

If you want to put your avi's on dvd use the data mode.
    check here in the dvd player section for media compatibility www.videohelp.com

Comment

• fifihump
      • Apr 2005

stupid question im sure but what is data mode?

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

The same as burning a regular file to cd/dvd. I use Nero and in the "new compilation" window I choose ISO mode.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"Also i burned a DVD the other day but it wont play on my dvd player"

If you are seeking to "Convert" the AVI files into a "DVD-related" file structure for the purpose of viewing on a conventional DVD standalone player, follow this procedure:

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk

Comment

• dwflo
            • Apr 2005

What about some of the AVI to DVD conversion apps? What if you want to maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio and the AC3 audio stream?

I have tried several times, using some of the conversion apps, but none seem to do a good job, like keeping the aspect ratio or the digital audio stream. What i get is 4:3 Full or Letterbox and PCM stereo.

Have waisted many hours, but no discs. Burn all my attempts to a DVD+RW, just for safty reasons, glad I did.

Any suggestions for a good One-Click solution?

I am new at this, and do not know too much about the authoring programs, as they will take some time to learn.

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

Dvd2svcd is a good all in one program.
              Tmpgenc dvd Author is easy to use.

Comment

• dwflo
                • Apr 2005

@tigerman8u
                Appreciate that, but I want to convert Divx to DVD.
                Sorry, guess I was not clear about that.

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

dwflo

Did you attempt to use the procedure(s) that I outlined in my last post? From the "Project Wizard" in "TMPGEnc", choose either DVD NTSC (16:9) or PAL (16:9). Doing this should maintain the aspect ratio of the DVD.

Comment

• dwflo
                    • Apr 2005

Re: dwflo

Originally posted by ormonde
                    Did you attempt to use the procedure(s) that I outlined in my last post? From the "Project Wizard" in "TMPGEnc", choose either DVD NTSC (16:9) or PAL (16:9). Doing this should maintain the aspect ratio of the DVD.
                    No sir I did not. I will have to install TMPGenc and give it a try.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2003

The all-in-one programs are easy to use but if you want good control over your projects do as "ormonde" stated. I extract my audio and encode it by itself. I then encode the video. Next I multiplex the two together, then author. IMO better results, more control etc.

Comment

• dwflo
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by tigerman8u
                        The all-in-one programs are easy to use but if you want good control over your projects do as "ormonde" stated. I extract my audio and encode it by itself. I then encode the video. Next I multiplex the two together, then author. IMO better results, more control etc.
                        Thanks, makes good since. Gonna have to start educating myself with these methodes described.

Comment

Working...