Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • an1m8rguy
    • Apr 2005

USB vs. S-Video?

Hi everyone. I'm a hobbyist filmmaker like many of you and I work with stop-motion animation. I have come to need a new camera, and I'm looking for something small (like a board level camera), as I work with small elements in my films. I have found only a few cameras that meet my needs for size, resolution, etc., and I have a question about the outputs from the cameras. The two that I am looking at are exactly the same except for output...one is s-video and the other USB. My question is which one will have higher video quality when connected to my computer? Will it be noticeably different? The maximum resolution for the cameras is 768 x 492, though I will most likely be capturing in 640x480. Here is the link to the composite version of this camera. The model number for the USB version is 20K15XUSB; for the S-Video version, 20K15XYC. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by admin; 31 Mar 2009, 02:09 PM.
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

Get S-video, or firewire.
    Faster, more reliable.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• milOtis
      • Apr 2005

#1 - you do not want to go 100% digital, you want a mini-dv camera that has firewire out...forget about USB2.0...firewire is rated at 400mbps, and USB2.0 is rated at 480mbs technically, but firewire is actually faster in capturing and real-time transmitting.

#2 - i would reccomend the Canon XL1S if you can afford it, if you are on a lower budget, you can get the Panasonic PV-GS400, or even the entry level PV-GS65 would be ok for what you are doing.

#3, if you do not want video, and just want to be doing still pictures, the Olympus and Canon digital cameras are the only brand cameras worth buying. The Olympus C-series are perfect for those who are on a tight budget, but still want professional quality. actually if you can find an old Olympus c-2020 that camera is good enough for what you are wanting to do. so anything from c-2020 and up would be good, and you can get that for $150-$200

~ milOtis

Comment

Working...