8mm home movies to DVD..is there a way??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRed CC Duall
    • Apr 2005

8mm home movies to DVD..is there a way??

I got some great help converting my mini dv tapes to DVD, now I have another question. Is it possible to get old 8mm home movies to DVD? I have thought of setting up a projector and taping the image from the screen using a mini dv camcorder, then converting it to DVD...would this be the best way? How is it done commercially, anyone know. Thanks in advance.
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

There's a few methods.
    If you have USB or firewire outputs on the cam, you can hook it directly to the computer, and capture using software.
    This method generates a large avi file, which you can then edit and encode to mpeg-2 and author and burn to DVD.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• milOtis
      • Apr 2005

um, hello reboot...do you even know what 8mm is? 8mm cameras were used and made before computers were even in existence, lol. you know...pre-vhs. i guess "digital video expert" doesn't mean anything, lol.

anyway, BigRed - the answer to your question is YES. if you have a computer with an ATI All-In-Wonder car so you have composite and s-video in and outs you can hook it up that way, so it will be an analog transfer, but as far as 8mm quality goes, you wont notice much difference if you capture it in the right mpeg2 format...but you do need access to a computer with RCA and/or S-Video input jacks to transfer old 8mmm, because there are 8mm projectors with composite out jacks which is how they do it comercially.

i've done it before for a friend, so it can be done

~ milOtis
      Last edited by milOtis; 29 Apr 2005, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
        • Apr 2005

milOtis,

"because there are 8mm projectors with composite out jacks which is how they do it comercially."

Just so we are on the same page, I am referring to 8mm reel to reel film...there are projectors that can output the image w/RCA or S-Video?? If so great. Did my idea of using a conventional projector and videotaping using a mini DV camcorder sound like a workable solution too? Thanks for the reply. I'm intrigued about the projector you mentioned.

P.S. Don't be too hard on reboot, he was probably thinking of a video camera in 8mm. There is so much stuff out there now it is very confusing for a "COB" like me, I can't even keep up with the old stuff, let alone absorb new.

Comment

• milOtis
          • Apr 2005

he may have been thinking of Hi-8, but thats not 8mm

anyway, yes, the film reel 8mm, i know what you mean. i am a radio,tv,film major, so i am very familiar with 8mm. and yes, there are projectors hat have composite outs that actually record direct from the projection lense to whatever you are connected to...VCR, etc...so you can put them on tapes, or capture them with your computer to files.

there is a place here, since i am near a film school where you can rent such devices, but they are hard to find. maybe if you find a film school near you, you an find mom-and-pop shops that have these projectors like here

~ milOtis

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
            • Apr 2005

Sounds wonderful!! Some of the film is from the early 50's when I was a lil' one. I'm afraid it may be so delicate that I will only have one shot at it. Others, most in fact, are from the 60's and probably in better shape. You don't think that any of these would be dangerous to use do you? I have heard that some very old film will become unstable, I don't know what years the cutoff is though. Thanks so much for your help, you have given me hope that I can preserve some of these family memories for my children.

Rick "COB"

Comment

• milOtis
              • Apr 2005

there is filmcoat you can use that is basically like a clear non-invasive bond that keeps old film from flaking or breaking apart but does not interfere with visual quality. too much of the coating can make the images magnified, but it's actually pretty failsafe. you would have to intentionally put on a whole lot to screw your film up.

~ milOtis

Comment

• BigRed CC Duall
                • Apr 2005

Thanks for the info milOtis.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To BigRed CC Duall

In light of the extremely high personal value of these one-of-a-kind films, I'd suggest you consider using an outside professional service - One that you can bring the films to in person...

Comment

• milOtis
                    • Apr 2005

yeah, if money isn't an issue, definately do that. film conversion labs usually charge $60 - $100 an hour for something like that though, and since you have to record 8mm in real time...well, you do that math but it's up to you.

~ milOtis

Comment

• reboot
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2004

I misread...sorry
                      My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

Working...