Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjsbone
    • Jun 2005

Help with conversion VHS -> DVD

I am totally new to this. I would like to convert some of my old VHS tapes to DVD. I've tried reading some of the guides I found on different websites, and have ended up more confused than when I started. Basically, I'm looking for a simple software/hardware package that will allow me to accomplish this. I have tried doing this using a box called ADS DVD Xpress, but the video and audio are out of sync on all my attempts. If anyone could please help me by pointing me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone could give me.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

I use TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author (A different program than TMPGEnc) to accomplish VHS to DVD. (Of course this method is after I have captured the video via a capture card.)

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - You can use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this.

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish).

**If the combined file size of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink to compress it down to fit on your recordable media.

If your operating system (O/S) is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode - Tutorial Located here on how to do this: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...453#post221453

TMPGEnc - http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html

TMPGEnc DVD Author - http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

Comment

• reboot
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2004

The above process may work, once you have successfully captured anything, otherwise it's a waste of bandwidth.

For capturing VHS, there's good, and there's cheap.
      Cheap is any $20 card, and some free software. This will (hopefully) capture an avi, usually quite large (if you want to keep any quality), which will then be encoded to mpeg-2 (using the process above if you like, there are better/faster ways), and then authored to dvd, and burned.

Good is a TBC and Video Processor. Be prepared to pay between $150 and $500 for each, plus having a very good VCR (JVC 6000 series) would also help.

Of course, there are areas inbetween, which will give decent (not great) quality, and are inbetween the prices too.
      My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• mjsbone
        • Jun 2005

Thank You both for your reply's. Reboot, if I choose to purchase a TBC, do I hook my VCR to that, and then hook the TBC into the computer, and then use my software to capture? Or is there a third piece of equipment that I need? Also, what capture software would you recommend? Thanks for answering my questions.

Comment

• reboot
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2004

If you're going to get a TBC, then that's the way to hook it up.
          The free WinDV software is excellent for this.

Comment

• brokendeath
            • Oct 2004

That's the same exact questions I needed answered....awesome!!!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

i just bought a "compro" tv capture card and it came with it's own software ($60). it only works well with vcd setting, if i make an mpeg-2 from the capture is comes out choppy. i'm happy with it for 60 bucks though.

reboot, i haven't tried windv, would it yeild better results than this crap i use?
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• reboot
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2004

WinDV is for capturing ONLY from cam, via firewire/usb. It is not a TV card capture app.
                Your tv capture card (you paid too much), I think, will use any of about 50 different programs, even virtualdub. Try every one you can find.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

"WinDV is for capturing ONLY from cam, via firewire/usb. It is not a TV card capture app."

yes i saw that after visiting their web page....

what freeware can you recommend that will produce good quality mpeg-2?

i just use tmpgenc dvd author to put the mpg-1's i make on dvd and that works well, but i would like to see if i could capture mpeg-2 to preserve quality. when i have it set for mpeg-2 the t.v capture comes out choppy. the cpu doesn't go above 60%. so i figured maybe it's just the software i was using. i tried virtualdub and it wouldn't work.

so, what freeware can you recommend that will produce decent quality mpeg-2?
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

list: http://www.tv-cards.com/apps.php
                    Try them all.

Choppy mpeg-2 is more likely because of aspect/frame size.
                    Try mpeg-2 at 352x480 (aka half D1), which is fully dvd compliant, but lessens the load on the card.
                    If that fails, you can also use 352x240 (aka 1/4 D1), which is also fully dvd compliant.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

yes i tried 1/2 and 1/4 both pretty much the same...i even tried using my own codecs to make a divx avi file and it doesn't produce anything good enough that i'd put on a disc...i also set the program when recording to "real time" priority and that doesn't do nothing. i'll look into that link. in the mean time it makes nice quality mpg-1 with "exceptional" quality seeting checked--which is good for me, and i can still put them all on dvd.

thanx reboot.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• reboot
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2004

If you're going to go for high quality avi, divx/xvid won't do.
                        Get huffyuv or mjpeg codecs.
                        Capture at 352x240.
                        With the right standalone encoder, you can get superb dvd's, providing you don't have any dropped frames (I mean NONE!).

VCD is limited to 1150kbps. Period. Having a setting called "Exceptional" makes no sense. A VCD is just that, nothing more, nothing less. How do they specify the difference between exceptional and normal, or is this a non-standard mpeg-1?
                        If it will do a non-standard mpeg-1, it should be able to do a standard mpeg-2.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

i have no idea but the "exceptional" is better i can tell by looking at it on the pc. i see people all the time with nice captures...i don't want to waste much of my time on this reboot, as my main focus is making movies. i just use it to capture/record t.v. shows and with my setttings, it is quite good. i was just wondering if i could make it even better.

always appreciated...
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• Jack Scotty
                            • Jun 2005

VHS to DVD conversion

The only thing that might cause a VHS to DVD transfer to go out of sync is if there are magnetic breaks in the VHS tape- for example if you start recording somewhere in the middle of the tape, the VCR takes a second or two to adjust the tracking when you play it back. When playing the tape back over this "bad" spot the VCR temporarily stops transmitting video frames. The PC captures video frame by frame that it "sees" being transmitted from the VCR. WHen the VCR goes over that bad spot the PC is waiting for the next good frame before it will continue to capture. Because audio and video are encoded separately, the audio will still record at a constant pace throwing it out of sync with the video.

The only way to prevent this problem is to start playing the VCR tape after the point where the break occurs so that the capture device can get consistent video and audio.

I use Pinnacle AV/DV Studio 9 and it works great. The video capture card has an analog breakout box that lets you hook up a VCR or an analog video camera and then once you capture the video you can burn it to DVD. It is very easy to use without having to figure out the type of encryption or compression settings. The DVD authoring is pretty much automatic although there is a control panel to change the settings. Its about the cheapest and easiest way that I know of that gets you superior results every single time.
                            Last edited by Jack Scotty; 11 Jun 2005, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• howndawg
                              • Feb 2005

I personally wouldn't recommend capturing to AVI then having to go to MPEG2 afterwards... seems like an additional step for nothing.

There are many capture cards out there that will do hardware MPEG2 encoding (videohelp.com has a huge list of capture cards), which will let you capture your VHS tape directly to an MPEG2 file on your hard drive. Capturing direct to MPEG2 will give you the best results in less time, and then you can use your favorite DVD authoring tool (mine is dvdauthor, lots use Ulead's products) to create your menus etc without having to do additional encoding.

I've also tried an ADS box and ran into A/V sync issues, same with the Plextor ConvertX box, and also the SONY VRD-VC10. But it seems the more you pay for your equipment, the less A/V sync issues you get, so you get what you pay for. The better equipment will do a better job of compensating for those missing frames as Jack Scotty pointed out.

Comment

Working...