Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yautsun
    • Jul 2005

widescreen playback

I am having trouble playing widescreen avi files on my widescreen notebook monitor. Previously 16:9 avi files when full screen would take up the entire monitor. Now the same file will playback as 4:3 by adding black bars on the top and bottom. Since it is a 16:9 monitor, the full screen of the 4:3 requires black bars at the sides. Obviously this is very annoying because now the movie full screen size has been drastically reduced.

Since I could get this to play properly previously, does anyone know of a setting or something as to why this is happening now. I am using windows media player.

Thanks in advance.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Welcome to the Digital Digest Video forum yautsun!

What is your screen resolution set at?

Set it at 1024 X 768, and see if that fixes it.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Welcome to the Digital Video Forums of Digital Digest!

"Since I could get this to play properly previously"

The same video file on the same computer? If so, and presuming your O/S in WinXP, perform a "System Restore" back to the last time things were operating properly...

Comment

• yautsun
        • Jul 2005

assuming system restore is not an option ( i do not want to restore anything yet at least), anyone else have any ideas?

changing the resolution to 4:3 (1024x768) just stretches the movie horizontally to fill up the 16:9 screen but the aspect ratios are distorted.

Basically, I have a video file that should have a resolution of 592x320 (as shown in virtual dub, close to 16:9 ) but when i play it in windows media player the resolution is 592x444 (4:3) due to the added black bars.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Again:

"Since I could get this to play properly previously"

The same video file on the same computer?

Comment

• yautsun
            • Jul 2005

yup. It worked like months ago. even when I play the file on my other computer the resolution is 592x320.

For some reason my laptop now automatically adds black bars on the top and bottom during play back to get the 4:3 aspect ratio. I never did that before.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"adds black bars on the top and bottom during play back to get the 4:3 aspect ratio."

Actually that sounds like it's maintaining the 16:9 ratio without stretching the video vertically...

"when I play the file on my other computer the resolution is 592x320"

Is the monitor of this "other" computer also widescreen or 4:3?

Comment

• yautsun
                • Jul 2005

I uninstalled all the codecs ... i guess i could have done it one at a time to see which one it was ... its probably time to update to the newest versions anyways.

Uninstalling all of them did seem to work though. It now plays properly. This particular file did not need any codecs.

thanks for your help.

Comment

• yautsun
                  • Jul 2005

the other computer was not widescreen. I do not think its a matter of widescreen or not anymore. Even on the laptop, once i open the file its 4:3 no matter full screen or not.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Glad to hear you've apparently resolved your problem!

Comment

Working...