Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omac
    • Jul 2005

trying to do VHS rips,,,need some help

Hi everyone. Im very new to this and dont really know whats what. First let me start by letting you all know what Im trying to do.

Im simply trying to get VHS home videos transferred into an Mpeg format. Im using a very simple tool from AverMedia called DVD EZMaker USB2.0. I can get the video recorded quite easily, my options for the file formats are Mpeg, Mpeg2, VCD, and DVD. Of these formats Mpeg2 and dvd seem the best qualities. Im doing Mpeg2 files, however I am needing to recored roughly 2 hours worth of material and the sizes of the files are massive, around 5 gigs, does that sound normal? I was curious if anyone could help me with a program to use to cut these files up into multiple files so I dont have one massive file. Or, if possible, take the Mpeg2s I have and further reduce their size without to much compromise to the quality.

I would be very grateful if somebody could steer me towards an easy to use program for splitting the files up. And if any of you have further suggestions I am very open to hearing what ideas all you pros might have.

thank you!
  • SweetiePie
    • Aug 2003

do you want to see them on your pc? then compress them to DivX-AVI format

Comment

• omac
      • Jul 2005

Yes,,,as far as viewing goes I only planned on replaying them on the PC. I was just going to leave them in Mpeg2 format.

Comment

• omac
        • Jul 2005

would you recommend converting that mpeg2 file to another format?

Comment

• SweetiePie
          • Aug 2003

you were concerned that the files were too big. so then compress them to DivX-AVI format

Comment

• omac
            • Jul 2005

would you have a program to recommend for this?

Comment

• SweetiePie
              • Aug 2003

Try this link for loads of freeware that does this

Digital Digest DivX Xvid Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, Xvid and AVI articles, guides and software, latest news and updates

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

capture at the dvd settings to capture as much of the detail as possible then encode with Virtualdub mpeg2 with divx or xvid (I prefer xvid, faster, better quality, and free)if you want an mpeg4 avi. or if you have enough hard drive space capture to uncompressed avi and encode with virtualdub mpeg2 as stated above.

If you want your end result to be a dvd playable on a stand alone dvd player capture at the dvd specifications then author the dvd/mpeg 1/2 with a program such as Tmpgenc dvd author and burn to a blank dvd.

Comment

Working...