Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poordamocles
    • Aug 2005

TMPGEnc settings ... help!?

I'm trying to convert my mpg files to DVD-accepted format. I followed advice from this forum, to use TMPENC DVD Author. I can't use it because it tells me my mpg files have no video sequence header (strange...they play on my computer just fine). I read elsewhere in the forum that to solve this I should use TMPG ENC. Quote:<<If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format>>. So I tried that. It will accept my mpg files, but it will take 11 hours to convert a 40-minute file. That can't be right!! I want to make a dvd that will play on a regular dvd player. What settings should I be using in TMPGEnc??
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

just the basic template should be all you need, what are the specs of your system?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• poordamocles
      • Aug 2005

Sorry, I don't know the specs of my system. But what would be the average time for TMPG ENC to encode 40 minutes of mpg? Does 11 hours sound right? If so, I'll just buy the unit from the stereo store that copies vhs onto dvd. Reading this forum, I'm really starting to think that's the smart thing to do anyway. It's too bad I already wasted $150 on a video capture device that doesn't produce a dvd-ready format. I'd continue with this video capture thing if I believed I would eventually produce a clean DVD easily and quickly, but reading this forum (and making my own little newbie efforts) really makes me realize that a HUGE amount of learning needs to take place before this can be done. If only the ATI video capture box would warn people that after video capture, about 20 complicated procedures need to be carried out before you get a dvd.!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

no, 11 hrs is insane. 2hrs maybe depending on the machine. checked the dma?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• poordamocles
          • Aug 2005

No, I don't know how to do that.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

make sure your DMA is enabled here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44808

if you are not too attatched to tmpgenc, i suggest you try "mainconcept mpeg encoder". it gives very similar quality to tmpgenc, at much better speed
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• poordamocles
              • Aug 2005

I fixed up the DMA; thanks for the link. It's still telling me 11 hours, though. Maybe my computer is too small. It has 196,000 KB ram. Maybe I should add some ram...?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

yeah, might be a good idea!
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

yeah 196 doesn't really cut it anymore

to find out the speed of your CPU, right-click "my computer" on your desktop, click "properties". tell us what you see, or take a screenshot

judging by the amount of ram in your system, i am guessing your PC is a pentium III/AMD equivalent. if so, this speed is normal.

to reduce the 11 hours, you may want to decrease the "motion search" options.

Comment

• poordamocles
                    • Aug 2005

Thanks for the help, guys. My system is too small, I'm thinking. I'll probably be back asking for help after I've upgraded. All the advice is MUCH appreciated.

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

no problem

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

good luck
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...