Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tartanbollox
    • Sep 2005

problems capturing NTSC video

Apologies if this has already been answered before.

I have been given a number of video-tapes, recorded in NTSC, and i am trying to transfer them to DVD for distribution to family members. I am in the UK.

When i view the tapes on a NTSC compatible video recorder on a TV i can watch them without problem. When i use the same video recorder, linked to a Canopus ADVC100, and try to capture onto PC i get a constant flickering picture and intermitent sound. I have tried using Premiere Pro 1.5, Scenealyser, Pinnacle Studio 9, & Intervideo WinDVD Creator, but without success.

What am I doing wrong????

Any advice would be appreciated. ( I have tried all settings on Premiere Pro but none have helped).
  • moonrocks
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jul 2005

Have you checked the dip switches on your Canopus? Dip Switch 1 toggles between PAL and NTSC. Dip Switch 2 toggles between Japanese and USA NTSC.

For capturing with the Canopus ADVC-100 I like WinDV. Gives good results and it's freeware.

Small Windows utility for DV FireWire digital video input/output.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• tartanbollox
      • Sep 2005

Thanks very much Moonrock, that's fixed the flicker. (I forgot all about the dip switches). However it's only capturing in black & white now, any ideas?

Comment

• moonrocks
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jul 2005

I don't use the software you mentioned in your first post so if a capture setting is off there I can't help you with that. Hopefully someone else can give you a suggestion.

If you try WinDV (very small and simple to use) is it still black and white in the preview window of WinDV? I can't imagine the Canopus could be causing that but just to rule that possibility out you could feed the analog out from the Canopus to your TV. At least then you'll know if it's the Canopus or your capture software causing the problem.

Also, if your NTSC tape has Macrovision the Canopus won't display it properly initially, until you adjust it a bit.
        Last edited by moonrocks; 14 Sep 2005, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

you might have to get a TBC/video stabilizer to completely correct the problem. Virtual vcr (free) has given me good results as a capturing software.

Comment

• tartanbollox
            • Sep 2005

Thanks for your help guys.

After searching the Canopus website it would seem that the problem lies in the fact that my ntsc compatible pal vcr is transmitting a different signal to that of a true ntsc vcr and so the Canopus does not pick up the colour. I guess, as you say, some sort of convertor/stabilizer is required.

If there is anything you can recommend i would be greatful.

Thanks again.

Comment

• moonrocks
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jul 2005

When playing your NTSC tape what's probably being output is PAL-60, PAL video resolution but at an NTSC 30 fps. Your TV can handle this hybrid signal but apparently the Canopus cannot. I'm not sure a regular video stabilizer alone will fix this because no matter what the stabilizer does with adjusting the color it's the combination of the PAL video resolution and 30 fps that's confusing the Canopus.

I'd think you'd need to shop for a video converter that specifically states it will convert PAL-60 to either standard PAL or standard NTSC. Try something with features like this:

Another option, maybe cheaper as well, would be to get an NTSC VCR, one which will output a standard NTSC signal to your Canopus. I don't know if those are readily available in the UK (probably not), but in the US those are very inexpensive, maybe $25.

Last edited by moonrocks; 2 Oct 2005, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...