X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shdowflare
    • Oct 2004

DV Capture Card + Tuner

Hi,

My sister and her husband just bought a new PC and they want to capture uncompressed digital video from their DV camcorder to their PC for editing. They'd also like to have a TV tuner as well. The capture card must have a DV or firewire interface. I have little experience with this hardware so I was hoping I could get some good recommendations from those who've made some purchases they're happy with.

The TV tuner and capture card don't need to be the same device, though that would be great. Please feel free to list any great and reasonably priced DV capture and/or TV tuner cards.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
  • jwo62
    Super Moderator
    • May 2005

Originally Posted by shdowflare
    Hi,

My sister and her husband just bought a new PC and they want to capture uncompressed digital video from their DV camcorder to their PC for editing. They'd also like to have a TV tuner as well. The capture card must have a DV or firewire interface. I have little experience with this hardware so I was hoping I could get some good recommendations from those who've made some purchases they're happy with.

The TV tuner and capture card don't need to be the same device, though that would be great. Please feel free to list any great and reasonably priced DV capture and/or TV tuner cards.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian

I suggest ATI. you have a choice of separate cards or you can save space and get the "ATI all in wonder 9600 series",this is what I have. it is a tv tuner,capture card and video card all in one.

Overview

Access new channels of home entertainment with a high volume collection of TV, DVD, radio, audio and video tools. The All-in-Wonder? 9600 Series brings together dynamic features with wireless remote control and the processing power of cinematic rendering. Supporting DirectX? 9.0 and AGP 8X with up to 128MB DDR memory, All-in-Wonder? 9600 series represents an unbeatable combination of value and performance.

________
    One Vaporizer Reviews
    Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

The capture card must have a DV or firewire interface.
      but ATI does'nt have firewire. what u can do is get a seperate firewire card not expensiv these days, and a seperate tuner.

for tuner u can get haupage, they got versions with and without hardware mpeg2 encoding, whichever suits ur pocket.

same goes with firewire capture cards too, for cheap u will get a simple firewire card, for money u can get hardware encoders that dont need Processor speeds and will do realtime mpeg2 encoding.
      Last edited by atifsh; 13 Oct 2005, 08:20 PM.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• shdowflare
        • Oct 2004

Need some more info...

Thanks for the help.

So I forgot to mention tha my sister also got an AT 256MB video card when she bought her PC. Is it possible to just buy a capture-only card? Has anyone else done that configuration (1 video card, 1 capture card, 1 DV/firewire card)?

As for the firewire card, are there any specifically designed for digital video input processing?

Thanks!
        Brian

Comment

• benbryant
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Aug 2005

Most of new PCs come with already built-in firewire connection either 4 or 6 pin connections front or back of the computer. Check your PC owner manual to see that it comes with those

Comment

• shdowflare
            • Oct 2004

Only USB

Hi,

Yep, that was the first thing I checked and there are only 5 USB ports (0 IEEE 1394)...

Any other ideas?

Thanks again...

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

u can get pinnacle software with capture card for round 80 - 90 $. it has both analog / digital [firewire] inputs.
              Edit like a pro with Pinnacle Studio 26, advanced video editing software packed with powerful tools to transform your creative concepts into cinema-grade productions.

if u dont want to pay thatmuch, or u dont need software, then just buy any good firewire card, U will lose the ability to capture analog but will get dv capture. firewire cards these days comes round 20 - 30 $ or cheaper.

Comment

• shdowflare
                • Oct 2004

Thanks!

I'll just get a firewire card then. A TV tuner will likely be a separate purchase. They've already got a hefty video card (256MB) so I just need to get the IEEE 1394 and TV tuner separately if they don't come consolidated on one PCI card for a decent price.

Thanks for everything guys,
                Brian

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

ur Welcome

Comment

Working...