• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vash
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • May 2005

reformat? reinstall windows?

hi guys, hope i posted in the proper forum, but i have a more general computer question. i've read in other posts about people reformatting then reinstalling windows on their pc to make it opperate smoother. how does one perform this type of maintenance? much mahalo's
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by vash
    but i have a more general computer question
    that's why we have a 'general computing' subforum

here's a cheap little guide to how i format (written from memory, but should be quite accurate):

1. backup all data that you wish to keep (music, pictures, documents, etc), either on a dvd/cd/second (or portable) hard disk.

2. reboot your pc, and press the 'delete' button to enter the bios when it tells you to

3. find the 'boot order' (or something similar) setting, and change it so that your dvd/cd drive is first (or on top). don't worry about the rest.

4. pop in your windows cd into that same cd/dvd drive

5. save the bios settings, and quit. it will restart your pc, and instead of entering windows, it will give you a message 'press any key to boot from cd...'

6. follow the instructions on screen. you will make a few choices here. DO NOT do these: 'delete/create any partition', 'repair windows', 'delete current windows'. just keep ignoring/continuing until it gives you the option of formatting. i recommend you pick 'format with NTFS'. it will take some time depending on the hard disk size

7. on the FIRST restart, make sure your enter the BIOS again, by pressing 'delete'. change the boot order so that your hard disk is on top again. save and quit.

8. follow the rest of the setup instructions. its user-friendly from there on
    Last edited by anonymez; 28 Oct 2005, 08:33 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• vash
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • May 2005

thanks a bunch man, i'm on it!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

you're welcome, let us know how it goes
        Last edited by anonymez; 28 Oct 2005, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

If not too late, while your formatting, create another partition or 2 to save your "data that you wish to keep (music, pictures, documents, etc), " so that if formatting is necessary again you won't have to worry about finding/moving them to some other media so you can reformat to reinstall the OS and programs or any other reason. Another HDD is also a great option for this, and saves time when processing DVD's to burn.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

yeah i didn't mention a partition as its usually safer to back up to something external to the drive being formatted

but partitions are great for temporary stuff (like game demo's)...

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

I use partitions on my 4-6 HDD's like HDD's for different things like MP3, Video, Data, backup, My Documents, Mail etc. It makes it a lot easier using Ghost to back up partitons. IMHO I understand if a HDD goes you lose it all but it is the same thing as only having 1 big HDD and no partitions

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

I might add it's always nice to have all your drivers before you reinstall
                windows, particulary modem or lan ones.

Xp has been letting me delete the system partition without bothering the data one,
                that's slick. I almost always slow format ntfs on system partition.
                Last edited by Chewy; 28 Oct 2005, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• bugmenot1
                  • Nov 2005

yeah i agree.. if you dont' back up your drivers, it'll be a pain in the butt later

Comment

• vash
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • May 2005

to back up drivers i just drag and drop everything(i.e.?) into like nero and burn to disc?

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

download latest drivers for all hardware now, and then burn to disc. there is no 'special method' for backing up drivers, just burn them like regular files

i don't really see how it 'can be a pain in the butt later'. all drivers can be downloaded from the net quite easily... (as long as you have the modem drivers at least )

Comment

• vash
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • May 2005

thanks again

Comment

Working...