Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bananix
    • Sep 2005

Aspect ratio question

source video in this example is dvd of resolution 720x480 (aspect ratio 1.5) NTSC interlaced

if i make xvid of it with resolution 640x480 (aspect ratio 1.333) this means the video is shrinked in one dimension more than other so it loses quality to my understanding when i play it with aspect ratio 1.5 on pc monitor so it is normal (unless you crop the movie but i don't want to do that). would this method be best if watched from tv or something instead of pc monitor?

if i add black to top and bottom of the source to make it resolution 720x540 (aspect ratio 1.333) so then i can convert it to xvid of same resolution and aspect ratio so then no resize occurs. would this method be good for watching on some source?

if i make 720x480 xvid from it so the aspect ratio is the same and no resize occurs so i belive it would be best if i one wants to watch it from pc monitor am i correct? and would this be good for watching from tv or some other?

or is some other aspect ratio than 1.333 useful for some type of displays?
    Last edited by bananix; 6 Dec 2005, 03:28 AM.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

if you add black borders at top & bottom, you will be able to have the video at the correct aspect ratio. virtualdubmod can do it.

use its 'resize' filter, and tick the box 'expand frame and letterbox image'. you can then define the dimensions, and you're on your way
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• bananix
      • Sep 2005

thanks for the info...do you happen to know answer to the other questions aswell?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

probably, but there are like 10 questions in there, one after the other, and i was too lazy to answer all of them

could you re-word the questions you want answered?
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...