Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Piratier
    • Dec 2005

Help..DVD Player cannot read Burned DVD

Hey all, Iam new at burning dvd's and having a few hick ups.
    Once I burn a DVD I cannot get it to run in my DVD player although i can use dvd software on PC. DVD player on TV says "Playback feature may not be available on this disc." Is there a way to create or insert a playback feature?
    Is this something Burning software will do automatically.
    I am presently using: NTI DVD Maker 6 Gold. I also have DVD Shrink and WinAVI converter.

Also for the experts out there... What DVD Burning software combination do you recommend?

Piratier
  • geno888
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

You can use any DVD burning software you want. The quality of the burning depend from the combination burner/firmware/media. The burning software have no influence on burning quality.

If your standalone don't read your burned disc, probably it's a compatibility problem, for example your player reads only -R media and you inserted a +R media.

Another thing can be a bad burn, so your standalone cannot read a bad burned disc. Some players are very picky, and also a little error on the burned disc can cause reading problems.

Comment

• Piratier
      • Dec 2005

Thanks Geno888,
      I tried and was successfull, to play this dvd on my son's dvd player that is 3 months new.I would really like to know if there is a software that can alter or insert the needed "-R or +R media" cause I don't want to have to buy a new Stand Alone DVD Player.

Any other Suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks Again Geno888

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

if your drive will support bitsetting, use those +r's and change to DVD-ROM.
        Last edited by LT. Columbo; 8 Dec 2005, 07:23 AM.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• geno888
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

Ditto

Comment

• Piratier
            • Dec 2005

I do have a dvd-rom /cd drive and nti dvd makers says that it will write DVD-ROM but, I cannot find the setting to do so . Could this "DVD-ROM" be listed as another file type. The file types available are: Video CD, Super VCD, Data DVD, Data CD and under advanced CD Extra.

Which one of these formats will produce a DVD that will work in stand alone DVD player?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

any commercial dvd movie you buy is dvd-rom. later it was other formats that emerged such as +r.-r VCD etc. when a player sees a disc with dvd-rom bitsetting it thinks it's a standard dvd and greatly increases the odds of it playing perfectly. google the subject.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• oldhack
                • Nov 2005

wont play

some dvd players just wont play every dvd. Sometimes changing your blanks can help. The player is too sensitive and picks up the irregularities that are on the dvd you made. I had the same problem and I changed blanks and that took care of it. I read when checking compatability, that the dye used can make a difference. the better (thicker) the dye and darker can help with some of the problems.
                Check meritline and see what blanks are compat with your burner and try them. There are some players that just arent made to read copied dvd's also so you may be out of luck. The cheaper the player, the better chance of it reading the disk. Apex player is 20-30 bucks and plays everything.(mp3's included) So think about getting a cheap player also.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

my el-cheapo dvd player plays everything too, more than my relatively expensive toshiba. it is tru also that not every blank will be supported by all players. another place to investigate media compatibility is:
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• geno888
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Dec 2005

To write a disc with "ROM" booktype first of all you must use a +R disc (bitsetting works only for +R media, +RW, and +R/DL).

Second, you need a burner able to change bitsetting on discs. Third, you need a firmware that allow you to change booktype.

For example, Pioneer drives are able to change bitsetting, but their firmware is locked, so the user can't change booktype.

Comment

Working...