Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken Dodd
    • Apr 2002

VBR CBR what does it allmean?

I'm currently attempting to split a movie so that it'll fit on a vcd using virtualdub. However when I open the file I get a warning message reading:
    ' VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source avi file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 72569 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the entire audio stream and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder (bitrate: 144.2 +/- 31.6kbps'
    Having gone through the due process , disregarding the warning, I find that the first half of the file is fine , but the second half has serious audio sync problems. Also when I try to encode the same file in TMPGEnc ,I also get an audio error and I was wondering whether there is link between the two problems. To be quite honest I have no clue what I'm doing here and would be grateful for any advice.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try using Nandub instead. It does not complain about VBR audio streams.

Comment

• Ken Dodd
      • Apr 2002

Cheers for that, Both sections are now in sync. However when I tried to encode in Nero , and I suspect the same will happen in TMPGEnc, the error message came up. Any ideas?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

TMPGEnc will not/ cannot process Variable Bit Rate (VBR) MP3 audiostreams. It can, however, handle Constant Bit Rate (CBR) audiostreams. In order to convert .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio, do the following:

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file.
        Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

Then close VirtualDub and restart it
        Set "Audio" to "No audio"
        Load your silent .AVI
        Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        Under "Audio" click on "WAV Audio" and load your .WAV
        From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save your file with a new filename.

Your new .AVI should now be totally (video and audio) acceptable to TMPGEnc.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Ken Dodd
          • Apr 2002

Sweet as a nut chaps. Many thanks for your patient help and guidance. I daresay I'll be in touch again as soon as something else crops up.

Comment

Working...