Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milo
    • Jan 2006

DVD+R Discs - Incompatible?

I just got a new Magnavox DVD Recorder and recorded a DVD+R disc. However, I realized after the fact that my Panasonic DVD Player cannot play DVD+R discs. Is this common? Is it because the DVD player is a few years old? Will I have difficulty playing these discs on DVD players that are develped in the future .... i.e., 10, 20, 30 years from now. Help!!!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the way technology is changing think 5-10 years

Comment

• milo
      • Jan 2006

I guess I just don't understand the technology. My expectation was that I would get a recorder make discs and play them on any DVD Player. Apparantly, my expection was off-base. I want to have these videos and be able to show them to friends now and my children and eventually grandchildren years from now. Is there just no way to do this - I find that hard to believe. Do I just have the wrong technology? Did I gewt the wrong kind of DVD Recoder. Should I be recording in a different format. I can't believe my situation is different from a lot of people that just want to archive there home movies recorded on a digital or analog camcorder.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

use your computer not your old dvd player to check playability
        and find which blanks make the best recording

Comment

• uufta
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

I think I just bought the same Magnavox Recorder, but more for it ability to playback just about everything...
          but now I wonder if all these book-type dvd-roms I am
          generating with my computer will travel well to other players? or will dvd-roms be a long-lasting standard?
          sorry if I butted into the wrong thread...

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

Milo just a query but when you did the dvd+r did you remember the bitsetting for +R's if your system allows it.Oops I guess we posted at the same time uufta.The way I see it is we can only control what we can do now.The future is going to happen we just have to deal with it when it get's here.
            Last edited by soup; 2 Jan 2006, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• milo
              • Jan 2006

I don't know what bitsetting is ... could you enlighten me?

Comment

• uufta
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

I am an engineer and I cant explain bitsetting (book-type
                dvd-roms) but I am learning, go to one of Blutach's thread responses and he has links that explain all that stuff....
                now about your Magnavox...if its like mine..it explains how
                to make your dvd+r recording compatible with other players in several places in your manual...one is called finalizing...press "edit" on your remote, on the menu goto
                "Finalize" press OK, after it does its thing, it should be good to go to other players...

Comment

• uufta
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Dec 2005

oops forgot something:
                  if you are using DVD+RW's, goto "Edit" on your remote and select "Compatible" then OK to confirm, then your good to go..
                  My model # MRV660, I love it...am told all Magnavox recorders operate the same in that function
                  good luck
                  Last edited by uufta; 3 Jan 2006, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• uufta
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Dec 2005

feel like I am talking to myself..
                    anyhow...I have been informed that the Finalize and Compatible functions and others actually do the "bitsetting" on your discs to make them seem to be the more compatible DVD-ROM format, which is what most
                    commercial movies are...thus able to play on all or most players..
                    gc

Comment

• blutach
                      Not a god of digital video
                      • Oct 2004

See What's bitsetting in my signature.

Regards
                      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• milo
                        • Jan 2006

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

UUFTA .... I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying because I do have an MRV660.

Are you saying I can convert a +R to be readable on all players by finalizing (I'm pretty sure I did that, but maybe I did something wrong).

And are you also saying I can use -R(W) discs on this even though the directions say I need to insert a DVD+R(W) disc?

Milo

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

to make your dvd+r recording compatible with other players in several places in your manual...one is called finalizing...press "edit" on your remote, on the menu goto
                          "Finalize" press OK, after it does its thing, it should be good to go to other players...
                          have you tried this

Comment

• uufta
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Dec 2005

I am sorry, what I meant to say is with DVD+RW's you have to use the ...EDIT > COMPATIBLE function.

page 45 of your manual.

I am A newbie so I am not qualified to say it will work on ALL players, but it worked on three different
                            player around my house

just an opinion: this player has played everything my Samsung and my daughters Panosonic wouldn't

I hope this helps you
                            gc
                            Last edited by uufta; 3 Jan 2006, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• uufta
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Dec 2005

I am sorry, what I meant to say is with DVD+RW's you have to use the ...EDIT > COMPATIBLE function.

page 45 of your manual.

I am a newbie so I am not Qualified to say it will work on ALL players.

just an opinion: this player has played everything my Samsung and my daughters Panosonic wouldn't

I hope this helps you
                              gc

Comment

Working...