Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • costabrava
    • Apr 2002

audio out of synch

I recently started encoding .AVIs to VCDs using TMPGEnc. I encode to PAL format using TMPGEnc and then burn to VCD using Easy CD. Everything worked perfectly according to the guides until this latest movie. In its original .AVI form the sound and video are perfectly synched, but after encoding to Mpeg-1 for VCD, the audio is out of synch. Details of the .AVI from VirtualDub:

Frame size 640x272, 25.000 fps (40000us)
    #of frames 172485 (1:54:59)
    Decompress Divx MPEG-4 Low-Motion
    Number key frames 6440
    Min/Av/Max key 1051/7184/34622 (45185K)
    Min/Av/Max delta 87/3606/22662 (584809K)
    Sampling 44100Hz
    Channels 2 (Stereo)
    Sample prec 0-bit
    Compress Fraunhofer llS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
    Preload 5991 samples (0.14s)
    # of frames 172474
    Min/Av/Max total frame size 239/479/5991 (80732K)

What am I missing here?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Nothing in the the .AVI's audio or video format should cause problems - unless it's the use of the v.4.12 DivX codec (which, if I remember correctly uses a definition of 1,000 bytes, rather than 1,024 bytes, as a kilobyte - I don't know if this might foul up conversion).

Is the out-of-synch problem observed after creating the file with TMPGEnc, or not until after burning with Easy CD Creator?

Which version of TMPGEnc are you using (I continue to use the older v.12c for such conversions and have had no such problems)?

If the problem is occurring when using TMPGEnc, I'd suggest two possible solutions:

1) Use VirtualDub to change the compression of the original .AVI to DivX v.3.11 alpha

OR

2) Try using TMPGEnc v.12c

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• costabrava
      • Apr 2002

thanks for responding right away...

the out of synch is observed on the new MPEG prior to burning (I always check before so as to not waste CD-Rs

my TMPGEnc is ver beta 12a (0.11.20.98)

I will follow up with your suggestions, but can you direct me to a guide for changing the compression on the .AVI ??

muchas gracias!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

This assumes that you have both the v.3.11alpha and v.4.12 codec installed on you system:

To change codecs (compression) used:

1) Load the .AVI into VirtualDub

2) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) Set "Video" to "Full Stream Processing"

4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression"

5) Select the DivX v.3.11alpha codec - If possible, set the adjustable settings to the same as the original file

6) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the modified file
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to experiment with what MAY prove to be a much simpler solution, first make a backup copy of the original .AVI (as a precaution).

Download one of the FOURCC changer programs

Change the FOURCC header to the appropriate DivX v.3.11 alpha header
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• costabrava
          • Apr 2002

OK...After carefully looking at my encoded VCD mpeg file, I noticed what appears to be bad video data that TMPGEnc picks up from the original .avi file and it is precisely at this point where the audio moves out of synch with the video, similar to the problem outlined in the article by Candela. But rather than using the solution outlined in that article, since my error was near the middle of the movie, I just cut (which I have to do anyway to fit the file on two CD-Rs) the VCD mpeg before the bad data for the first CD-R file, then start the next cut for the next disk after the bad data. So now I've got the standard 2 files, the first one I can burn to disk right away, but the second one needs the audio fix prior to burning. So I opened the second file in virtual dub and resynched the audio using the interleaving function. Everything great, right? Problem is I can't save the VCD MPEG file in the same format, since virtual dub wants it to be .avi file (the direct stream copy option)....is there another program I can use to redub (i.e. resynch) the VCD MPEG file as easily as virtualdub and save the file in its original format?

as always, much thanks

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"is there another program I can use to redub (i.e. resynch) the VCD MPEG file as easily as virtualdub and save the file in its original format?"

Not that I'm aware of...

Comment

• costabrava
              • Apr 2002

that settles that...

as you probably guessed, the point was to try not to go through again the time consuming and processor hogging of re-encoding the original .avi file, this time edited...but here I go, again...

but as always, thanks for your response

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

De nada ;>}

(Or is it, as my friend told me, "de nargas"?)

Comment

Working...