Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duker10
    • Dec 2005

Can you upconvert video?

I am having trouble with audio sync on my DSM-320. I think I have narrowd it down to the video sample rate. I have a bunch of videos that I want to watch on my tv, and some are encoded at a video sample size of 12 bit, while others are 24 bit. The 12 bit ones have audio sync issues, which get worse as the video plays, up to about 1 - 1 1/2 seconds off. The 24 bit ones seem fine. This is the only difference that I can see that is consistent between the ones that work properly , and the ones that don't. Is there any way to successfully convert the 12 bit to 24 bit?

Unfortunately, I am in Canada, and therefore am unable to get the US firmware update for the DSM-320 which has corrected a number of the audio sync issues. They seem to be 2 firmware releases behind up here.

Anyway, thanks for any assistance.

Duke
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

If you are talking about XviD/DivX, then they are all basically 12bit since MPEG-4 Part 2 supports YV12 only. The 12/16/24bit part of an XviD avi refers to the input. 24bit means that it wasn't encoded properly if it was a DVD source. DVD's are YV12 so the entire encoding process can be kept in YV12. If a file shows 24bit, then that suggests that the encoder converted to RGB24, this leads to lower quality. Using VFAPI to frameserve or VDub filters requires converting to RGB24.

I'd suggest that the problem lies elsewhere. Interleaving settings, CBR vs. VBR, 44.1KHz vs. 48KHz, 23.976fps vs. 25fps, etc.

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

Very true, I agree with Celtic

Comment

• duker10
        • Dec 2005

Any suggestions?

I'm kinda new to all this (that's why I'm posting in the newbie section), and am unsure where to go from here. The videos are not DVD files, but are downloaded TV shows (I'm bad for remembering to set the VCR). I just can't figure out why the audio lags on some and not others, and can't seem to get anywhere with dlink.ca

Comment

Working...