Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • directjj
    • Jul 2005

which is better, .avi or .mpeg?

Say you have two video files with similar or identical content and one has .mpeg extension and the other .mpeg extension so you want to delete on to save disk space.

Which file is likely to be of higher quality, or is it impossible to answer that question simply based on file extension?
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Based on file extension, no. It depends on the codec used. Uncompressed AVIs are great quality but huge files. Compression is key. MPEG-2 is the DVD standard, if that helps you.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

If you want to edit them in the future, AVI won't get degraded but MPEG will. Therefore, if you definitely know for sure that you won't need to edit the file again, just delete AVI file

Regards

Comment

• celtic_druid
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Dec 2005

Also depends on the streams in the avi. An avi containing MPEG-4 video isn't really any more editible than an MPEG1/2 mpg file. For editing you want RAW or a keyframe only codec like DV. A lossless codec would be fine to, even if it isn't keyframe only.

As said, just by the extension, you can't really tell much.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Were you aiming for a smaller filesize? If you didn't care about the size, a lossless AVI codec, like celtic_druid said, would be the best choice. That way, if editing the file, you keep the same quality, but also has good quality to watch too.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• paglamon
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

And which lossless codec do u suggest Celtic?How good is MJPEG?
            sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Be carefull since not all MJPEG codecs are lossless. Depends on contents and if you care more about speed or compression. Not really what the original poster was asking. Perhaps if people want to discuss editing, lossless codecs, etc. someone can start a new thread?

Comment

• directjj
                • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                Based on file extension, no. It depends on the codec used. Uncompressed AVIs are great quality but huge files. Compression is key. MPEG-2 is the DVD standard, if that helps you.
                Are all files with .avi extension "Uncompressed" and non-lossy?

Is there a utility that will scan files in a directory and revew quality related information, or can I use the Windows Details view to make a determination?

E.G. in Windows Explorer Details View, if I right click and tell it to show Codecs I get the following for 4 AVI files:

DIVX, MP3
                cvid, PCM
                cvid, PCM
                DX50, MP3

Nothing shows up in this column for the mpeg files.

I have a utility called Gspot which shows the container and can reveal the codecs in a file on a file by file basis. It shows all kinds of information which I dont understand.

Gspot shows one .mpeg file with container Mime Type: video/quicktime and no other information in the Video Codec box.

Gspot shows another .mpeg file with container MPEG-1 System Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud, 1 other } Sys Bitrate: 1262 kb/s VBR and in the Video Codec box it shows: MPEG1_Payload

You can open multiple files in Gspot in which case you can use batch mode and hit the "+" key to cycle through the files you chose to open.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Dec 2005

The best way to determine quality is to, believe it or not, watch it. If it looks like crap, then it is crap quality.

That said.
                  cvid is I think the fourCC for Cinepak, so I would go from worst to best.
                  cvid
                  DIVX
                  DX50
                  That is just a list really of what they are capable of though. The cinepak encode could still look and sound better.

Looks like one of your mpeg files is infact a .mov.

Comment

Working...