Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeT020
    • Jan 2006

Question/advice needed on video editing

Hello all, I'm new to this whole thing but I'm looking to quickly get into some video editing on my computer for multiple purposes. First I will outline the things I'm looking to do in terms of video editing and then I will post the product I found that I think fulfills my needs. I'm looking to know if it is a good product for one, and for two, if it will do everything I need it to do.

The first function I am looking to do is saving programs from my TV to my computer. I have two TVs in my living room, one equipped with a Tivo and one equipped with a cable company-issued digital video recorder. Both have all of the analog video and s-video wire outputs/inputs. I'm looking to be able to transfer saved programs on my Tivo and DVR to my computer. Then, once on the computer, I would like to be able to edit the programs to remove commercials or things of the sort. I would also like to be able to convert the video files to different media types, such as Divx format. I would then like to be able to burn the files, in divx format, to a DVD, and be able to watch them on a divx supported dvd player.

The other thing I would like to be able to do is rip DVDs onto my computer using the software/hardware I would like to get, and be able to convert those files into Divx format to be backed up and viewed in the Divx supported DVD player.

The product I found that I think fulfills all these needs is this:

Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

The Plextor ConvertX Digital Video Converter, which comes with the WinDVD Creator 2 Software.

It says it is Divx supported (along with a plethora of other media formats) and my computer meets and surpasses all of the system requirements. I have a DVD burner, plenty of disk space, the TVs, and the DVRs. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here and if this software/hardware bundle will be able to do everything I need it to do.

I also want to make sure it will work with Tivo and my other DVR, and if it will be complicated to do that.

If anyone could answer these questions to any extent, give me some advice on this, or can comment on the specific hardware/software I'm looking to buy, that would be great.

In advance, I appreciate any time you take reading and replying to this.

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this or if all of these things could be answered in some FAQ. I browsed a few things but couldn't find anything to specifically answer my questions.

Thank you, Joe.
    Last edited by JoeT020; 18 Jan 2006, 10:05 PM.
Working...