Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hyperjack1183
    • Jan 2006

DVD to VHS Help please!

Call me outdated, but I’m not ready to discontinue my VHS library.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    The problem is I’ve been recording VHS to VHS, one VCR to another. I filter out copy-guard using a small device called the RX2 (operates on a 9-volt battery.)
    <o></o>
    Since the availability of VHS cassettes is dwindling and every thing is now out on DVD, I have to switch to recording DVD to VHS.
    <o></o>
    I’ve had success. I merely replaced the ‘Player’ VCR with a DVD player.
    However, this VCR is about shot and needs to be replaced.
    Not the other night I hooked up a New VCR for the recording.
    I attempted to record “Cinderella Man” and it came up terrible and unwatchable.
    <o></o>
    > Is there something the older VCR’s had that the newer ones don’t?
    > Why would it record watchable on the older one but not the new?
    > Often when I record there are horizontal red lines across the picture,
    <o></o>
    Is there a device I can get to filter out the CSS and get past the above mentioned problems? I’d appreciate any input.
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

Older vcr might of had some type of built in TBC/video stabilizer. I got a video stabilizer at my local electronics store for $50

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

I did this as a means of backing up my DVD's before I bought my burner. I had a video stabilizer, put the RCA Video-Out of the DVD player to the input of the stabilizer whose output went to the VCR video-in. The audio was a straight connect since my VCR had stereo inputs. It made as clean a backup as could be made considering the desitation was tape.

The CSS is used by the DVD Player to more or less authenticate the disc, allowing it to be played and doesn't affect the output produced from the RCA or S-Video outputs. That would be Macrovision at that point. If you're really interested in how CSS works with DVD players, and how DVD discs work in general, DVD Replica has some very good technical information available.

Regards,
      Cambion7
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
      - Confidence

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

check here http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer.html

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

For a few months i just had one of my computers hooked into the
          hodgepodge home theater I use, videolan played the dvd's. Almost bought a
          vhs-S recorder? Till I priced the tapes.

Comment

• Hyperjack1183
            • Jan 2006

Thanks for your feedback guys. Tigerman, I'm interested in that DVS.
            The copyguard filter I have now looks very similer to that item only I bought it back in '92.
            Do you think this will do what the RX2 couldn't or is it basically the same thing?
            Again, thanks in advance.

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

Not familiar with the rx2 so I can't give an honest answer. I got mine at my local electronis store so I could take it back if it didn't work.

Comment

Working...