DVD Burns, but there's is nothing on the DVD.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marioporter
    • Mar 2006

DVD Burns, but there's is nothing on the DVD.

OK. I downloaded this yesterday and even a guide to help me. It seems simple enough, too. But when I burn the DVD after ripping it, there is nothing actually ON the DVD. Sometimes I can tell that it's been written to. But other times it hasn't been written to and the session goes through anyway. I've wasted about 8 DVDs doing this and I can't figure out what's wrong. Without being too terribly technical, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm not getting any error messages or anything. I'm using Nero to burn, also.
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the Forum. Maybe explain the process & programs used? The more info you give us, the more positive the out come might be.

Comment

• marioporter
      • Mar 2006

I put in the DVD. CLick open and let it do its thing. After it ejects the disc and asks me for media I put in a Sony DVD-R. It goes through the burning process and then ejects the disc. But when I put the disc in anything to play standalone or my computer it does nothing. When I look at the disc in my E drive it says that there is no room on the disc but that it's still empty.

The other thing that I've done is gone straight to Nero after it was done and dropped the files into the TS folder. I get the same result.

I've tried to reauthor and to just do it the other way (not sure what that's called.). I'm serioulsy stuck. I don't know what else to do. I don't get any error messages and it proceeds as if everything is normal. I just basically wind up with a blank disc.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Try reading these:

Comment

• always
          • Feb 2006

what if you just try to burn data to it does that work? what type of burner are you using?is it a + and - r(w) drive if it only burns 1 kind and you have the wrong media that would do it too i believe. have you made succesfful burns before ? and with what program?

Comment

• BSpielbauer
            • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by marioporter
            I put in the DVD. CLick open and let it do its thing.
            You say you "Click open and let it do its thing." The problem is, you have not told us what "it" is. What software are you even trying to use, to rip the disc? You did mention that you are using Nero for the last step (the burning part), but none of has a clue what you are doing first.

After it ejects the disc and asks me for media I put in a Sony DVD-R.
            Okay, now at least we know what brand of blank media you are trying to use. That helps. Unfortunately, we still have no idea what program you used for the initial ripping. And, we have no idea what process you are using. Your problems may be related to that, but it is impossible to tell due to a lack of information, here.

It goes through the burning process and then ejects the disc. But when I put the disc in anything to play standalone or my computer it does nothing. When I look at the disc in my E drive it says that there is no room on the disc but that it's still empty.
            What brand and model of DVD player (the standalone) are you trying to play this on? There are still a lot of standalones out there that cannot even play a DVD-R disc, so this may become important.

As to your experiences on the computer, we also still do not have any real pertinant information. We need to know if the software you are using for the initial ripping of the disc is able to create a normal "compliant" DVD, and we do not even know which software you are using.

I've tried to reauthor and to just do it the other way (not sure what that's called.).
            To be honest, I am afraid that I do not know what is meant by the phrase "the other way," either. Can you open up whatever software you are discussing here, and perhaps write the name of "the other way" down?

I assue you, I am not trying to be rude, but it would help if you answered the questions below:

-What software are using. Name any and all programs, and please be very specific, including the order you are trying to use them.
            -What is the title of your original disc that you are trying to back up? This information (in many cases) can be critical to solving the problem. Especially if it is a dual layer original commerical disc, since that will require compressing or shrinking or splitting in order to fit on your Sony DVD-R.
            -What is the name of your DVD standalone player? What is the model number?

This at least should be enough to let people get started. There may be more information required later, depending on the answers to the above.

Read back over your previous responses, and note that "Soup" asked for some specific info, and then "always" asked for some specific info. Without the answers to their questions, we feel like the proverbial doctor trying to diagnose the illness for the patient who merely says "I am sick. Now, heal me."

Respectfully,

-Bruce
            Last edited by BSpielbauer; 7 Mar 2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• marioporter
              • Mar 2006

I'm using DVD Shrink 3.2 I've tried it on a Toshiba, Phillips surround sound that told me the disc was a JPEG/MP3 disc, and another Phillips DVD player and my Xbox 360 which told me I had an open tray (nothing in the 360). The movie I'm trying to back up is Blazing Saddles. I also tried Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring. Both with the same results. And my burner can handle a DVD-R. It's a QSI DVD+-RW SDW-082.
              Last edited by marioporter; 7 Mar 2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

that's a rare laptop burner

seems a common problem

have you looked at the laptops support site for firmware upgrade?

Comment

• fhacket
                  • Dec 2004

Computer wont read disc

I have looked in the forums for an answer to this question, but cant find it anywhere and this thread seems as close as I can get, so I hope someone can help me.. I have backed up a few dvds and used both Memorex and Fujifilm media. The backups work great on my standalone players, but if I try to play the Fujifilm dvd backups on my computer, it wont read them. And only the Fujifilm ones. I have upgraded all my firmware and am at a loss as to why the computer wont recognize these discs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

I googled and those 2 links were the only clues I could come up with

Comment

• Chizzmo
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Nov 2005

First off Mario you should take a look at this link

and you will need to download DVDDecryptor to use before you use Shrink you gan get that at this link
                      To decrypt the entire DVD and copy the VOB files, Download (DVD Burning Application) DVDDecrypter. NJMCDirect, the user-friendly website developed for ticket payments by the NJMVC (NJ Motor Vehicle Commission […]

as for Fhacket try to open it manually by opening you media player and selecting it instead of letting it boot up. Also you can try to reboot your comp just to make sure there is nothing running in the background that might interfere with what youtr trying to do.
                      Chizzmo

Cheers

Comment

• fhacket
                        • Dec 2004

wont read it

I have tried to open the Fujifilm discs in my media players, (Roxio, Nero, Media Player) and I have gone to my computer and tried to open the dvd drive and they all give me the same response. (No Disc). I can take the same disc into the living room and put it in my dvd player and watch the movie.. And again its only the Fujifilm discs and its all of them not just one.

Comment

• Chizzmo
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Nov 2005

check the type of burner you are using and then check the media compatibility online

you can also give this a read and see if that helps at all
                          Chizzmo

Cheers

Comment

• NightTran
                            King of Digital Video
                            King of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

check your target when you burn. Did you burn to the drive you put the disc in or you just burn to the hard drive?
                            sigpic

Comment

• fhacket
                              • Dec 2004

If that question was directed to my problem of my computer not recognizing the Fujifilm discs, I burn to the drive the disc is in. My computer recognizes the discs when they are blank and burns to them. But after they are burned my computer wont recognize them. I use shrink and dvdd to burn, burn at 4x, and the memorex discs work just fine in my computer. What can Fuji do to their discs that make them not recognizable to the computer?

Comment

Working...