This newbie needs help with freeze!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boz
    • Mar 2006

This newbie needs help with freeze!!!!!!!

Hello everyone

I am new to burning so im giving this a shot and i need some help

First off my pc is an older gateway pentium 3. I had to upgrade to a usb 2 pci card and download service pack 1 for xp. im using an external hard drive for my movie files which i hook to the usb 2 card. i was able to rip files to hard drive with dvd encrypter then encode and compress with dvd shrink waiting to be burned. all worked well

the next day i went to defrag my pc before i went to work. I came home and my pc just froze on me. i restarted pc and windows would not load. it was just stuck at the windows xp black screen with the blue bar just frozen. the reason for defrag was because my encoding took 3 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie (adult) but ripping took 10-15 minutes, so i thought defrag would help but something went wrong.

i took my pc to a tech and he looked and worked on it. he ended up re-installing xp with service pack 2. the pc still froze after he was done but when he removed the usb 2 card, the pc loaded windows and ran fine. when he put it back in the pc froze again, back and fourth. He stated the card is bad

i went back to compusa and exchanged the card which is a belkin and i picked up a usb 2 compusa card. i installed it and it worked at home with the card in unlike the first card which worked when i first used it to rip files to my hard drive and then encode and compress my first movie.

with the new compusa 2.0 card, i connected the external hard drive and went to compress and encode another movie to see what would happen. well about 10% into the encode phaze, my pc froze again. it's only freezing when i run dvd shrink and the 1st defrag i did. it doesnt freeze under another program i have.

what's strange is that it worked with the belkin card the very fist time and everything was fine. everything went to crap until i went to defrag, then encode on dvd shrink froze.

i dont know what my next step is. maybe remove service pack 2? reinstall service pack 1? i ran micro trend, avg, and mcafee along with spybot for virus and spyware, malware but nothing. something happened on defrag

anyone....thank u
  • IndianPrincess
    Wild~N~Crazy
    • Dec 2005

check your dma http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905
    IndianPrincess

Smile and the world smiles with you.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...