Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brillo
    • Mar 2006

Workaround for slow burning in WindowsXP

Following is a quote from MrGerber in Doom9's Forum>General>Decrypting, last post in thread referring to first post, Decrypting FAQs, #9. Phrases in bold are mine. "I recommend you try the “Workaround” suggestion they provide, which requires uninstalling the IDE device driver. The driver should automatically reinstall after rebooting with a fresh start (reset) having forgotten about the accumulated I/O errors that triggered the bug. After that, you will probably need to use the Windows Device Manager Utility make sure DMA is selected for the transfer mode as suggested in Instruction #9. This procedure worked for my Windows 2000 PC."

1) How do I uninstall the device driver?
    2) How do I reboot with afresh start? Just restart or?
    3) How do I locate the WDMU and make sure the DMA is selected for transfer mode?

<EOM>
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

please read both links

Comment

• brillo
      • Mar 2006

Sure enough, secondary IDE was PIO. Now it's Ultra DMA 2 after uninstall/reboot. Cool! Thanks, Chewy for pointing me in the right direction. Also, per Microsoft"s suggested "workaround", I modified registry to revert transfer mode from DMA to PIO only after six consecutive time-out/CRC errors instead of six cumulative time-out/CRC errors. So, I hope, I don't have to do this again (for a while at least) to keep that DVD drive hoppin'........

<EOM>

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

sp2 for XP does same thing

Comment

Working...