Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s2c
    • Feb 2006

dvd player seen as a removable drive

Just purchased a USB to IDE adapter to hook up a sony dvd writer (dw-g120a) to my laptop. I cant get the burner to be recognised as a burner. It is seen as a removable drive and cant see any dvds in the drive. These adapters hook up all sorts of hardware to the USB port but what is the use of connecting a cd/dvd burner if you cant use it as such.
    My plan was to use it to watch other region dvds as my laptop installed MAT****A UJ-841s drive hasnt got any software to override the region coding. (Has anyone written any yet?)
    Any ideas as to how I can get the burner recognised as a writer would be most appreciated.
    thanks
  • vw56german
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jun 2005

The last time I had troubles with my USB interfaces/adapter cables I had to uninstall them and reinstall making sure to use the supplied software and drivers. Just letting "windows" recognize them and install a driver off the system was not enough. One cable I have is used for 2 devices and I cant just unhook the device from the adapter, I have to unplug the USB connector, then change the device and plug it back in for it to be recognized correctly. Try a reinstall and see what happens, if that does not help I am sure others here will have more ideas.

I wonder if the mods might want to move this thread to the "General computing" forum as it may get better exposier there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• s2c
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for your reply vw56german,
      I tried your suggestion. I loaded the win 98 "usb storage toolbox". It was a mission, the driver disk didnt auto run so I had to crawl through the disk to find a setup. Didnt do much, gave me no options in start/programs menu, just uninstall option. i have xp.
      so still no luck trying to read a dvd in the burner. it wants me to insert a disk but after that it ignores it. Hmmmmm. I'm stumped

Comment

Working...