Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakob81
    • Apr 2002

Using Virtualdub to encode Avi to Mepg1

I have captured a number of uncompressed avi files from a videocamera source using virtualdub.

I first encoded them using DivX4 in virtualdub, and was very pleased with the results. Good quality and a small filesize. However I want to put these files onto a website and email them. I want people to have as little trouble as possible viewing these files. I know not many people will have the DivX4 codec, so I wanted to encode the avi files just with the standard mpeg1 codec (that hopefully most people will have). However I am confused by the codecs on offer in virtualdub, in "compression" in the video menu. Normal Mpeg1 does not seem do be listed. There are other exotic sounding codecs that I havn't heard of, there are several microsoft ones which don't all work. I can't believe that mpeg1 is not here. Is it just under another name? Virtualdub tells me that some of the codecs are outdated, but which should I use to get the smallest filesize while still allowing the file to be viewed by a wide variety of people.

Any help is much appreciated. I feel like I am on the verge of an understanding breakthrough in my digital video knowledge, but with things like this, I am stumped.

Cheers.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Unfortunately, although you CAN use VirtualDub to convert MPEG1 files TO .AVI format, you CANNOT use it to do the opposite.

You can use TMPGEnc to convert .AVI (DivX-compressed and otherwise) to MPEG1 format...

Comment

Working...