X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PI8
    • Jun 2024

imgburn-verify and test mode options

Hi!

this is my first post here and i am glad to be a part of this great community.
    i have read the imgburn guide by cynthia (helped a lot) and a lot of posts about this tool, but there are still two things i am absolutly confused about.

1. if "verify" is unchecked in the main screen should i disable the option "verify against the file" in settings->write? in other words what is the connection or correlation between this two options?
    2.If "Test mode" is checked does it make any sense to verify the burned disc (with or without "verify against the file")? why to verify a burned disc when you have already tested before starting the dvd burning process? Do the test mode and the verify option complement one another?

hope you can help me to understand better the effect of these options
    thanks a lot
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Test mode does not burn the disc, more does a "test burn" and I don't know why people would use it.

Definately verify, however, as it makes sure that the data was actually written to the disc.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

@drf A +R can not be "tested". It will burn anyway. Test mode is for -R only.

As for the other questions, I will let LUK or a Beta answer.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

1. If you checkmark the option to verify in the settings section - it will automatically checkmark it in the main burning window for you.
        2. Test mode does everything in the burning process - except for turning on the laser light = nothing is burnt on the disc.

So to have such a non burned disc verified is meaningless. The verify option is to make sure that when you acutally burn the disc (with test mode disabled) that the image that was written on the disc also match the original on your hard disk.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

@blutach, didn't know that, as I never test.

What is the point of testing anyway?
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Perhaps to see that you can transfer data to your burner.

Comment

• PI8

thanks a lot!
              @cynthia
              1. If you checkmark the option to verify in the settings section - it will automatically checkmark it in the main burning window for you.
              are you sure? I checked the settings and I have enabled "verify against the file" but the verify option in the main screen is still disabled.

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

You have checkmarked it in the tab "Write" and not in the "Verify" tab?

Comment

• PI8

You have checkmarked it in the tab "Write" and not in the "Verify" tab?
                  yes, I did! Is that the wrong way?

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Yes, you are right - my fault - there is no automatic enabling in that main window.

But it works as this: if you do enable it in the main window - it will stay enabled in the main window even after that you close down the program and start it next time.

That option in the the settings section is working this way:

If you enable the "verify against the file" option it will read the original source and compare it with the burned disc. If you disable it - it will only read the disc - just to see that the disc can be read. (not compare it with the original image file).
                    Last edited by cynthia; 9 Apr 2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• PI8

thanks for the reply
                      so as long as the verify option in the main screen is disabled it doesn´t make any difference if the the "verify against the file" option in the "write" tab is checkmarked or not? right?

Comment

• cynthia
                        Super Moderatress
                        • Jan 2004

Yes, as long as you don't perform any verifying - then there is no usage of that "verify against file" option.

Comment

Working...