Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jont
    • Apr 2006

mov2avi page link to codecs is too vague

On the mov2avi.html page there is a link "DivX Mpeg-4 Codec 3.1alpha (or greater)" that links to an entire website. What am I supposed to download from that website? Can't we have a link to the specific item, or a clear description of what to download?

Has anyone figured this out?

• blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Have you looked at RAD Video Tools? See this guide - http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 28 Apr 2006, 09:07 PM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

you might want to try this guide http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61093
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• jont
        • Apr 2006

blutach,
        http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm has exactly the same problem. The link for "Install Rad Video Tools" looks promising - http://www.radgametools.com/down/bink/radtools.exe
        but when you click it, you are redirected to http://www.radgametools.com/. On that page there is no link to anything called "Rad Video Tools". Do I just download everything on the page and hope it all somehow works together?
        I just don't get it.

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

For converting quicktime mov's to avi's, try mencoder. Most codecs are included, any extra qt decoders can be downloaded from the mplayerhq site and just placed in the codec subfolder.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

there's a guide to convert .mov to avi here in these forums using the quicktime player itself. just type ".mov conversion" in the search window. Its fast, easy, and (if you have a Quicktime player) free.

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Wouldn't that require Quicktime Pro?

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

yep. I already have Quicktime pro 7 ...so its free for me.

Comment

• jont
                  • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
                  For converting quicktime mov's to avi's, try mencoder. Most codecs are included, any extra qt decoders can be downloaded from the mplayerhq site and just placed in the codec subfolder.
                  I have mencoder. Unfortunately, the man page for it is shared with mplayer. It is long and bewildering. I am not an expert on video drivers and formats. I used the following command based on what I could figure out:

mencoder dscn0091.mov -ovc qtvideo -o out.avi

Here's the gibberish it spewed when it failed. Can anyone identify the missing "requested component" here? I think it is either BICUBIC scaler, Planar 422P, Packed YUY2 or MMX2. Not sure what I would download from mplayerhq to fix this and I have not yet found the mplayer codecs folder. Any clues?

MEncoder dev-CVS-060222-02:23-3.3.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
                  CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Sempron/Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred; Duron Applebred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
                  CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
                  Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
                  91 audio & 206 video codecs
                  success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x1e64ef8
                  Quicktime/MOV file format detected.
                  --------------
                  MOV track #0: 60 chunks, 900 samples
                  Image size: 640 x 480 (24 bpp)
                  Display size: 640 x 480
                  Fourcc: jpeg Codec: 'Photo - JPEG'
                  --------------
                  MOV: longest streams: A: #-1 (0 samples) V: #0 (900 samples)
                  VIDEO: [jpeg] 640x480 24bpp 15.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
                  [V] filefmt:7 fourcc:0x6765706A size:640x480 fps:15.00 ftime:=0.0667
                  QuickTime6.3 DLLs found
                  QuickTime.qts patched!!! old entry=0x6693c3e0
                  theQuickTimeDispatcher catched -> 0x6693c3e0
                  WARNING! Invalid Ptr handle!

### Searching for QuickTime plugins (*.qtx) at /usr/lib/win32...
                  ### FindNext: QuickTimeEssentials.qtx
                  ### FindNext: AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx
                  ### FindNext: BeHereiVideo.qtx
                  ### FindNext: QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx
                  Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
                  Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1, osd: 1, aspect: 0.000000, round: 1
                  ================================================== ========================
                  Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
                  Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)
                  ================================================== ========================
                  VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar 422P)
                  Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
                  Opening video filter: [scale]
                  VDec: using Planar 422P as output csp (no 1)
                  Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar 422P to Packed YUY2 using MMX2
                  Cannot find requested component
                  FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
                  VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar 422P)
                  VDec: using Planar 422P as output csp (no 1)
                  Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
                  Cannot find requested component
                  FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

Exiting...

Comment

• celtic_druid
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Dec 2005

Why -ovc qtvideo? For quality it would be best to use one of libavcodec's lossless codecs. You could also try -ovc copy. For the audio -oac pcm will give you pcm audio.

Comment

• jont
                      • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
                      Why -ovc qtvideo? For quality it would be best to use one of libavcodec's lossless codecs. You could also try -ovc copy. For the audio -oac pcm will give you pcm audio.
                      I thought I had to use a codec compatible with the file type. mencoder's options are quite confusing and I am not really sure how to tell it that the input is Quicktime and the output should be mpg or avi or whatever.

-ovc copy causes a segmentation fault on playback with mplayer, but totem can play it. The zs4 editor program I had hoped to use can't do anything with it. I suppose the "copy" codec doesn't really change the encoding, so what purpose does it serve?

How do I figure out which codec to use? It is all a mystery to me.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Dec 2005

-ovc is the output codec. That is what the "o" stands for.

-ovc help for a list of codecs. So say -ovc xvid or -ovc x264. Next you have the options -xvidencopts pass=1, etc. or -x264encopts qp_constant=0.

If you want lossless then you would want -ovc lavc though then -lavcopts vcodec=ffv1, ffvhuff, huffyuv, snow. The above x264 example should be lossless to though.

Comment

Working...