Burn .AVI (Nero?) to CD play DVD Player?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • directjj
    • Jul 2005

Burn .AVI (Nero?) to CD play DVD Player?

I have a 664MB .AVI file. I suppose I could dump it as a data file to a standard CD to save space on my hard drive and maybe play it from the CD using my computer.

I would rather burn it to a standard CD ( I thought it would fit ) and be able to watch it on my TV from my DVD Player.

I tried Nero 6, option Video CD, and Nero did a lot work (decodging?) but when it came time to burn it said it was a little to big to fit on the CD. I tried inserting a blank DVD though I really don't want to waste a DVD on this file and would rather burn it to standard CD but still be able to play it on my DVD Player.

I'm thinking I could split it with the right software and just loose the tail end or look for some free .AVI compression software (something similar to DVD Shrink but for .avi files).

If Nero was encoding it, maybe a stand alone encoder (CCE ??) could do a better job make it smaller, maintain quality?

What do you suggest I do. I am experienced CD burner but new to Video formats.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

what is the length in minutes of the file? if it exceeds 80 min you have 3 options the way i see it:

1) create a kvcd (non-standard VCD which many players will play)

or

2) hack off a portion of the clip using virtualdub first or an encoder such as TMPGEnc.

or

3) split it on 2 CD-R's
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

How was ur AVI encoded? Divx or Xvid encoded avi do play in the newer DVD players.In that case u can burn ur AVI as Data-CD and be able to play in ur standalone.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i agree paglamon. that would definetly be the best and easiest way, i just assumed directjj didn't have divx support based on the post.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• directjj
          • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
          How was ur AVI encoded? Divx or Xvid encoded avi do play in the newer DVD players.In that case u can burn ur AVI as Data-CD and be able to play in ur standalone.
          Gspot (is there another way to check Codec?) says it is
          DIV3/div4

1:23:16, i.e. 83.16 minutes.

I have overburned Audio CD's with Nero before (there is a setting). Nero didn't ask me if I wanted to Overburn, perhaps because I had the Audio Overburn setting set lower. There is also an Overburn DVD setting in Nero 6 based on file size, not time, but not one that I saw for Video CD.

As I think about it, .AVI is a container, right? Is it always non-lossy?

If the clip was little shorter and I had succeeded in burning a Video CD would it still be non-lossy, or is their compression involved in creating a Video CD versus a DVD.

Comment

• directjj
            • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
            what is the length in minutes of the file? if it exceeds 80 min you have 3 options the way i see it:

1) create a kvcd (non-standard VCD which many players will play)

or

2) hack off a portion of the clip using virtualdub first or an encoder such as TMPGEnc.

or

3) split it on 2 CD-R's
            KVCD? sort of a Variable Bit Rate Video CD. My research indicated this requires more patience and knowledge than burning regular Video CD's. Is that like Overburning a VCD using Nero, or what software would I use to create such a disk? Cinema Craft Encode?

Can I use something like Cinema Craft Encode to hack off a portion instead of VirtualDUP or TMPGENc?

Comment

• directjj
              • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
              I read both my users manuals and emailed both manufactures because I don't see any mention of .AVI in the manuals.

JVC DVD Video Player XV-F80BK/XV-F85GD

Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-NS501P

I suppose I should just try it and see what happens.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by directjj
                KVCD? sort of a Variable Bit Rate Video CD. My research indicated this requires more patience and knowledge than burning regular Video CD's. Is that like Overburning a VCD using Nero, or what software would I use to create such a disk? Cinema Craft Encode?
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• despotizm
                  • Apr 2008

Fitting avi / divx flies

Not sure if your pc or mac ?

Best bet is to use DivX plugin with Quick Time.

Open the avi file and chose 'export'.

Under settings you can specify the destination file size

Should work on pc also

Comment

Working...