Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baldlygo
    • May 2006

VHS Video Capture

Having recently had some ancient home cine films converted to DVD I now want to convert some VHS and old camcorder footage.
    I've hurried bought a cheep CameraMate VideoSAfe USB2 Capture device. But now reading various reviews and FAQs it seems that I will never get very good results.
    I can run the VideoSafe into Virtualdub ok but it only gives me the 320 x 240 resolution option - far short of the 720 x 576 it says on the box.
    Can anyone tell me a resonably priced capture device which is gaurenteed to give me 720 x 576 into virtualdub (PCI or USB2)?
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

There are so many VHS to PC capture devices in the market that it is very difficult ofr us to choose. I just post the link of Tiger Direct as a sample for you to compare. Please spend more time to read and to search more for pros and cons. IMHO, I try to stay away from any Dazzle products

Regards

Comment

• Baldlygo
      • May 2006

Thanks Ben - I've been reading around and it seems to me the best quality lower cost converters are Canopus. I think I've made my mind up to save up for one.

Comment

• Baldlygo
        • May 2006

Perhaps I should have said above that I am still running Win98se and I've been told that my USB2 is not 100% so the firewire input would be better anyway.

Comment

• benbryant
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Aug 2005

I used to capture my VHS video tapes to PC with USB2 Adaptec although my old PC (933 Mhz) only came with the standard USB. I had no pronlem at all. Try to use the S-video if your VCR player has one for output

Regards

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

This is a good cheap one. It is made by KWorld. I have had no problems with it. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&sku=O38-1046

Comment

• Baldlygo
              • May 2006

Well at that sort of price for the Xpert PCI DVD Maker, and with generally good reviews regards video quality (audio relies on PC audio quality) you've persuaded me to give it a go. Hope to report back in a few days. Thanks for the advice everyone

Comment

Working...