Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadowofthedark
    • Aug 2005

MKV Extract Gui 1.5 can't extract certain file

I have this MKV file in which MKV Extract Gui can't seem to extract. The files are:

video(MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
    audio(A_VORBIS)
    subtitles(S_TEXT/ASS)
    subtitles(S_TEXT/UTF8)

so far, I was only able to extract the audio and the subs but not the video. i really don't know whats the problem as i've used this tool in other mkvs that i have and i was able to extract them. anyone have this problem before? thanks!
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

it's AVC, not meant to be in an avi container. extract video to raw h264, then mux to avi (i assume that's where you want it to end up?) with AVC2AVI

remember there is NO reason to go from AVC mkv/mp4-->whatever format (especially avi). it will not be playable on your standalone till you encode to mpeg2/mpeg4 ASP; extracting to a different container will not help
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Shadowofthedark
      • Aug 2005

ok thanks. any good tool that you'd recommend for extracting it to raw h264? the only tools that i have are for mkv and ogg extraction. thanks!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

iirc mkvextract GUI does extract as raw h264

Comment

• Shadowofthedark
          • Aug 2005

i can't seem to extract the video using mkvextract 1.5. the command line has this message:

Warning: The extraction of video tracks is only supported for RealVideo <CodecID: V_Real/RVxx> and AVI compatibility tracks <CodecID: V_MS/VFW/FOURCC> . The track 1 will be skipped.

am i missing a codec here? Thanks!

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

not a codec issue, got latest version (1.5.5)? tried mkvtoolnix?. i still don't understand WHY you wish to place in AVI, it will not achieve anything
            Last edited by anonymez; 8 Jun 2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

They might want to remux as mp4. Nothing wrong with that. mkvextract definatly supports extraction of native AVC tracks. As said, make sure you have the latest version of mkvextract (part of mkvtoolnix).

Comment

• Shadowofthedark
                • Aug 2005

i've downloaded and installed the latest toolnix, 1.7. after running the mkvextract gui, i've been asked that it's a new file and to input the file extension i'd want to associate it, i put in avi. however, after extracting i can't seem to open the avi file extracted. what gives? and the reason why i'd want to extract is, is so that i can make it into an avi, convert it to mpeg2 so i can make a dvd of it. thanks!

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

and the reason why i'd want to extract is, is so that i can make it into an avi, convert it to mpeg2 so i can make a dvd of it
                  i wouldn't bother then, avc in avi is a bad idea anyway. simply install haali media splitter, create an avisynth script, something like
                  Code:
                  directshowsource("C:\path\to\video.mkv")
                  and feed into your mpeg2 encoding app

Comment

• celtic_druid
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Dec 2005

Correct extension should be .264. Naming it .avi, doesn't make it an avi. As I already said it extracts to raw h.264 streams. There should be a formats.txt in the GUI's folder where you can change the extension.

If you really, really, really, really want an avi. You can use avc2avi to remux the .264 to *.avi. I'd go with converting the mkv directly though as per above.

Comment

• uniquo
                      • Oct 2006

I have an mkv file with ac3 audio which I am trying to convert into mpeg using cucusoft - but cucusoft keeps crashing. I do have ac3filter installed and I tried to use vbm instead, but the audio and subtitles are not in sync after conversion. Can someone help me?

Comment

• celtic_druid
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Dec 2005

Could be that the mkv is VFR. When you remux the video to avi it becomes CFR and the subs and audio no longer match.

Comment

Working...