Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebecka_o
    • Jun 2006

Curious about your QS

Since I´m new to using the Nero CD/DVD Speed I´m just curious what QS to expect? What QS do you other people normally have after using DVDShrink and Nero? Below/above what number do you say it´s bad/good?
    Pleeeaaase have patience with me, I´m a
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

Well since I have been doing some homework on CD/DVD speed, I will say that the QS is not very important. On some readers a score of 80 may be as good of a burn as a score of 94 on others. The most important factors of the test are actually the PIF's and the PO's. These are what determines a bad burn.

The test is not really designed to compare one test from one reader to another test from another. So always use the same reader to compare your burns. It is a great test to compare the different types of media, and test new media, to see what kind of burns you get on new batchs, media, etc.

Post a screen shot of the disc quality screen on a recent burn when you can.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

very well put copy, you have done your homework, must be nice to have all
      those young braincells

Comment

• rebecka_o
        • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by copyless
        Post a screen shot of the disc quality screen on a recent burn when you can.
        Thanks for the nice explanation of it all!

I´m really tired of DVDSpeed... on some discs the whole computer hangs and has to be restarted...

The file attached seems ok, doesn´t it? I just wonder why all my tests show more errors/failures closer to the end than in the beginning?

The other test can´t be attached, since I can´t save. But here are the info (I would really be happy if you could analyse it for me...):

The test always stops at 99%. Up until then the PIF has an average of 2.11 and a max of 73. The PIE has an average of 462 and a max of 2250. The POF is 0 until it passes 97% or something like that - then it goes up to 1425! QS 84. At 99% a very tall yellow line appears all over the PIF screen.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rebecka_o; 9 Jun 2006, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

decrease your burn size to 4200MB and burn slow at 4x
          retest

a dvdrom is usually a very unreliable scanner with disk quality, better to just do a transfer test and let it go at that

Comment

• rebecka_o
            • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
            a dvdrom is usually a very unreliable scanner with disk quality, better to just do a transfer test and let it go at that
            I´m not sure what you mean with "transfer test"? If I choose "run test" I find a test called "transfer rate". Is that the test you mean I should use?

And thanks by the way. The next time I will decrease the burning size in shrink.

Comment

• geno888
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Dec 2005

I suggest to download latest version of cd-dvd speed. Your seems a rather old one.

Transfer rate test is the one in the benchmark tab of the main window (Press the F2 button to run it).

Comment

• rebecka_o
                • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by geno888
                I suggest to download latest version of cd-dvd speed. Your seems a rather old one.

Transfer rate test is the one in the benchmark tab of the main window (Press the F2 button to run it).
                Thanks! When you test your discs - do you use "benchmark" or "discquality"?

Comment

• locoeng
                  Who Farted?
                  • Dec 2005

Disc Quality will show the PI/PO errors, this is what we are concerned with.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                  Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

if you have a good scanner(benq 1620/40/50etc or liteon/newer models, real plextor and nec dvd burners) then disk quality is a tool, for other drives
                    the transfer test is the way to go and supplements disk quality.

Comment

• geno888
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by rebecka_o
                      Thanks! When you test your discs - do you use "benchmark" or "discquality"?
                      "Benckmark" and "disc quality" tabs do different tests. When I check my discs, I use both.

Disc quality is for doing scan, as said Chewy, only if your burner support this function.

Then in benchmark I do also a transfer rate test (TRT), because is can happen some times that a disc with a good scan have reading problems.

Doing both TRT and scan give you a better idea of how a burning is.

Comment

Working...