Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul D. Bellamy
    • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

I have a number of DVDs from a certain organization which will not play on one of my three DVD players.
    The three players are:
    1. Symphonic WF104, a cheap player which I picked up at Big Lots for $25.
    2. JVC, XV-SA70, which plays a lot of things well, including my problem DVD.
    3. Pioneer, DV-563A, which plays a lot of things well, but not the problem DVD.

All three players play most DVDs that I own, including most home made ones.

Is there any way to discover why this one particular set of DVDs, all of which come from the same source (Moody), will not start on players 1 and 3? They will play on player 2 and on my computer also.
    Is there any diagnostic software available (for free) which will characterize DVDs so that one may discover the differences between playable and non-playable DVDs?

Thanks for any help.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

what's your burner? and burning program

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
      • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

The DVDs from Moody are burned by them. I have no access to information about how they were created or burned.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

certain organization
        Moody???

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
          • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

Moody is short for Moody Bible Institute of Chicago. They dispense a set of DVDs of their annual conference.

But getting back to the question, Is there any diagnostic software available (for free) which will characterize DVDs so that one may discover the differences between playable and non-playable DVDs?

Comment

• nightcat
            • Jul 2006

Generally speaking, Wrong IFO info and VOB sp-pack info will cause the error that DVD cannot play on Home DVD Player. Please use the IFOEdit and VOBEdit to compare of them. IFOEdit and VOBEdit are both freeware.

Wish to help you.
            -nightcat

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

do you have a dvd burner? diagnostic programs use dvd burners, that's why I asked before.

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

Yes, I have a DVD Burner.

After looking at the IFOEdit site, and some others, it appears that some functions of IFOEdit won't work properly with Windows XP (which is my OS). They say that Win2000 is recommended. I don't have that. I also notice that the latest version (0.971) has been unchanged for a couple of years. Did the author die? What has become of further development?

It appears that IFOEdit is a useful tool, but difficult to learn to control. Anyone have comments about that?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

this might work for you? Some burners support quality scanning, all tell the mid codes of burned dvd's. This is where I think you will find the answer to why certain dvd's play and other do not.

comparing various burned dvd's might show you a pattern

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                    • Jul 2006

Using Nero CD Speed 4.51, I ran Disk Info on one or two disks of several brands.

Moody Disk, MID = yuden000T2 (000)
                    Liquid Video, MID = OPTODISC OR4 (000)
                    ESA, MID = CMC MAG E01 (000)
                    Verbatim, MID = MCC 002 (000)
                    ?, MID = CMC MAG E01 (000)
                    Princo, MID = Princo

Other than the Moody Disk, I can't find another yuden000T2 disk in my collection to see if it fails to play on two of my players, like the Moody disk does.

What does MID stand for? What does it mean? Do these results suggest anything which might explain my original problem?

Thanks

Comment

• locoeng
                      Who Farted?
                      • Dec 2005

What does MID stand for?
                      MID = media ID
                      What does it mean?
                      This information tells you who manufactured your disc, just because the label says Memorex doesn't mean that Memorex made 'em.

Do these results suggest anything which might explain my original problem?
                      Without looking up each individual MID to see if they are +R or -R discs, my guess would be that your standalone player(s) may not like one or the other formats. The Pioneer I believe doesn't like the -R flavored discs, but I could be mistaken.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                      Walt Kelly

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

The DVDs from Moody are burned by them
                        I believe I would request replacement discs from moody at this point; It seems as if they are damaged, & some are of poor quality mid.

CMC MAG E01
                        regards, katz

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                          • Jul 2006

I have been reading an interesting site called "www.digitalFAQ.com" which talks about Media ID and DVD blank quality.

The Moody disks are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden of Japan, which they say is a good quality blank.

However, I cannot determine whether the blank is +R or -R, since that is not written on the disk, or in the above report, or stated while running Nero DVD Speed Disk info. Does anyone know how to determin the gender (+ or -) of a DVD R? Have I missed something?

Comment

• locoeng
                            Who Farted?
                            • Dec 2005

Those might be fake TY's, the MID of a TY DVD+R 8X should be YUDEN000T02

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                            Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

the yuden T02's are some of the best disks ever made but very often
                              forged or counterfeit. authetic TY media has a code on the top of the disk
                              in the inner silver ring, you have to look at it under bright light.

cdspeed showed the details!

Comment

Working...