Which DV cam/equipment should i purchase?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robg2251
    • Aug 2006

Which DV cam/equipment should i purchase?

I work at a newspaper, and we are going to begin doing some news footage video to post on our website. The videos will usually include a reporter talking - or othertimes just showing an event or something newsworthy.

I know I will probably need a wireless microphone - to mic the reporter, or maybe a wireless hand held - if they are interviewing someone.

I looked at the Sony HDR HC1 - it looks like a really good camera, maybe overkill for what I'm going to do - but, who knows, we may have the need for higher quality videos to DVD. We also may be doing web commercials for advertisers. I just want to get a good camera that will last a while.

My next question would be which software to use. I haven't decided which machines we'll be using to edit videos (Mac or PC), but i'd appreciate input on both of them. We're using iMovie for now, but it's just not that robust - i know there's better software out there (i've heard good things on Adobe Premier - but I think that's only for PC).

Alright - to sum this up - I'd like input on:
    1. A digital video camera (max $1000-ish)
    2. Wireless Microphone
    3. Editing software

Thanks!
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Hi!

As I am a Sony engineer/tech, the camera your looking at is a good one, ya a bit overkill for the project your going to do, putting up clips and pics onto the website. Even with broadband, downloading a large file sizewise video clip is something no one would have much paitence for, thus the clips would be compressed down to a more comfortable file size. Thats where the editing software comes into play. Lots of em out there, I really dont have any recommendations for that part of your inquery, but as to the camera, I can give some advice.

For this project you might consider purchasing a high end consumer DV camera, or an entry level industrial/broadcast camera such as the DSR-PD150. It is a digital camera utilizing the mini-DV tapes, sports a nice wide angle 12x zoom lens and 3 CCD pickup element. It also uses XLR type audio connectors, giving far superior audio quality and noise isolation. A wireless lapel mic would be the mic of choice...no cumbersome mic cables between your reporters and the cameraperson.

Editing the video from the camera would be fairly simple using editing software and a good pc platform. Since it is clips for the web, I would definately go with editing the video on a pc. If it were video for distribution on DVD or presentation or sent to a tv studio for on air use, I would use editing suites equipped with editing machines, video switcher and CG machine for inserting titles or for motion action of the video sources.

Good luck, sounds like a neat project!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...