Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goldpanner
    • Sep 2006

DVD has digital jitter after burning

I have a Panasonic Mini DV camcorder, model: PV-GS29 and I use the firewire connection to transfer the movies I recorded to my Toshiba laptop, model: Satellite A105-S4034, brand new laptop, I'm using Sony DVD-R media, and I'm using the software that came with the laptop to do the transferring, Intervideo WinDVD creator.
    I spent a lot of time reading to find out the problem and no one really addresses this completely.
    I have vacation videos on my DV tape that I want to transfer to DVD, I have a firewire output on my DV camcorder, and a firewire input on my laptop, all goes well when I hook it up, I choose quality settings, I picked the best to just experiment, the software will detect the camera, rewind the tape and then capture the video, then I burn it to DVD, no errors or troubles, all goes well.
    But now when I go to watch the DVD in my other players the video is jittery, it looks more digital then smooth like my analog VHS recordings, it's not really missing frames I believe, just has that jumpy look to it when the part of the movie is active, meaning where you are scanning a scene real fast or someone is running thru the scene, it's not smooth, it jitters, best way I can describe it.
    Now if I watch the DV tape thru the camcorder it is perfect, no jitters, when I hook the DV camcorder directly up to my TV thru the AV ports I get a normal picture, no jitters, it's smooth.
    Do I have to drop the recording quality when burning a DV transfer to a DVD so as not to get the digital jitter?
    Or is the software I'm using lame If you need more information I will post what you need, I'm a newbie, but I have read a lot, only thing I can find that comes close is that frames are being dropped? And when I get done buring the 1 hour DV tape to DVD the DVD is almost full, so I'm recording at the highest quality.
    Thanks for your time
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

what's the size of the file you are capturing vs time to capture?

maybe the laptop is the weak link in the chain?

try a lower quality setting first

Comment

• Goldpanner
      • Sep 2006

The .avi file that I captured from the 1 hour Dv tape is 3.31g, and the time to capture was the 1 hour, if that is what you mean by capture time, it captured the video in real time, it took an hour to transfer it to my laptop, I watched the little view screen in the program as it uploaded the video, then it took about another hour to convert it, check it, then burn it to a DVD, a total of about 2 hours or maybe a bit more to capture a 1 hour DV tape.
      Thanks for your fast reply

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

is the play after capture jerky or after the conversion?

Comment

• Goldpanner
          • Sep 2006

Sorry for the late reply, visitors came over had to leave the net Good point, I went and checked the captured video in the laptop and it is jittery, just like the DVD is.
          I'd just like to say thanks for taking the time to help me, I noticed 10,000 plus posts behind your name, I'm honored that you will take the time to help this newbie out Especially when I'm on post number 3

Comment

• Goldpanner
            • Sep 2006

Heres some more info. on my laptop:

Intel processor T1350 1.86ghz
            Mat****a DVD-Ram drive
            Mobil Intel 9456M Express Display adaptors
            Fujitsu Disk drive

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

1. never capture on battery power
              2. your 100gig hard drive is only a 5400rpm?, keeping plenty of space available
              and the drive defraged might be critical
              3. I would run as lean and mean as possible, reduce the settings for capture
              to maybe 2 gigs for that hour

Comment

• Goldpanner
                • Sep 2006

The harddrive is a 5400rpm, I had both the camcorder and the laptop plugged into the wall when I did the capturing and burning, here are the specs on my unit:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text2>15.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT active-matrix LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA) </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Processor: </TD><TD class=text2>Intel Core Solo, Processor T1350, 1.86GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Memory: </TD><TD class=text2>Configured with 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be occupied), 1024MB(min)/4096MB (max) </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Hard Drive: </TD><TD class=text2>100GB (5400RPM); Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive; 9.5mm height </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Operating System: </TD><TD class=text2>Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Optical Device: </TD><TD class=text2>DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats, Maximum speed and compatibility: DVD-ROM(8x:read), DVD-R (Single Layer, 8x:write), DVD-R(Double Layer, 4x: write), DVD-RW (6x:write), DVD+R(Single Layer, 8x:write), DVD+R (Double Layer, 4x:write), DVD+RW (8x:write), DVD-RAM (5x:write) </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Communications: </TD><TD class=text2>Wireless: Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless Network Connection (802.11a/b/g)
                Modem: Toshiba V.92 software modem
                Ethernet: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection - 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet
                </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Expandibility: </TD><TD class=text2>1 PC Card slot support 1 Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card16,CardBus, ExpressCard slot supporting ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Audio & Graphics: </TD><TD class=text2>Audio: Built-in stere, speakers, Realtek ALC861 16-bit stere, software sound, Supports 3D Sound, Direct 3D Sound,Intel High Definition Audio Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Measurements &

Weight:

</TD><TD class=text2>Dimensions (WxDxH Front/H Rear): 14.2 (360.0mm) x 10.5 (267mm) x 1.17? (29.8mm)[F]/1.45 (36.8mm)[R] without feet , Weight: Starting at 6.0 lbs (2.72 kg) depending upon configuration

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Battery: </TD><TD class=text2>6-cell (4000mAh) rechargeable, removable Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery pack, Battery Life included 6-cell battery: 3 hours, 27 minutes </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>I/O Ports: </TD><TD class=text2>Video: RGB (monitor) output port, S-Vide, output port
                Audio: Headphone output port, Microphone input port
                Data: i.LINK(tm) IEEE-1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB v2.0) 4 ports, RJ-45 LAN port, RJ-11 modem port
                </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text2bold vAlign=top>Software: </TD><TD class=text2>Brand Software: TOSHIBA ConfigFree, TOSHIBA Custom Utilities, Electronic User's Guide Trial Software: McAfeeVirusScan(30-day trial), Microsoft Office(60 Day Student Teacher Edition), AOLInternet Service (90-day trial) Third-party Software: Microsoft OfficeOneNote2003, Microsoft WorksVersion 8.5, InterVideoWinDVD5, InterVideoWinDVD Creator 2 Platinum, Sonic SolutionsRecordNow! Basic

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

• Goldpanner
                  • Sep 2006

I will try the lower quality capture setting, and if that don't do it would you suggest I get a capture device and come in by way of an analog connection, A/V cables, thru the USB port, or would that make any difference?
                  Thank you

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

usb will slow it down which might be what you need to get around the stuttering/jerky capture you are having, lower quality settings should work
                    if the laptop is causing the problem as it won't have to write as much data to the hard drive in real time.

people doing capture over firewire have been real particular, using raid stripes,
                    and running everything at optimal settings

it's not an easy thing to do with an entry level laptop(economy model).

experiment with smaller captures, but remember if the source isn't that good,
                    you don't need to keep quality that isn't there to start out with

Comment

• Goldpanner
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks Chewy,
                      Yea this laptop is a Wal-Mart special, good price for what I need it for, I have almost all programs that are not needed shut down when I burn and capture.
                      Oh to update you on this, I hooked the camcorder up to my TV by A/V cables, and now if I look real close I can see the jitter but it's not as noticable but it is there, the A/V hook-ups lower quality must soften the look a bit so it's not as bad.
                      So when I use the firewire to transfer the movie it must copy it perfectly and the camcorder must record it jerky like that, it's only the high speed movements that make it jittery.
                      Thanks for the help for this newbie, I'm in the "coaster" making stage on DVD's, and now I've heard that the stuff you store on CD's and DVD's has a 6 year shelf life
                      I will try the lower quality settings and post back how it turned out, it may be awhile when I do but I promise I will so that this might help others who come across this too.

Comment

Working...