X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sandfish
    • Mar 2007

DVD Player - No digital?

Just a quick question from a newb..

I was trying to watch a DVD on my Yamahaa receiver last night and it would not recognize the digital features.

When I switch to watch an on demand cable show from HBO that is broadcast in digital it picked up the digital signal.

I checked the connections from my dvd player and all seemed OK. I could watch the disk with no digital (non-5.1) and the picture and sound was fine.

Is it possible for the "decoder" on my DVD (panasonic - el' cheapo) player to go out and still play disks? I would rather not test this by dropping the cash on a new player if I don't have to. As I said, I checked all connections.

Has this happened to anyone? Is this a typical malfunction?

Thanks for your help.
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

Check the various 'Setup' menus that are available. Note where they are set now, then try various options. One should work. Also check the cabling from the player to the receiver.

Comment

• volfann
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jun 2006

If you are using standard AV cables I don't think you will get true digital output.
      sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• Sandfish
        • Mar 2007

I am actually using digital connections that I have double checked. This is something that has worked up until last night.

I am just wondering if it is possible for the "digital decode function" of a dvd player (if there is such a thing) to go bad without the player itself going bad.

Player used to output digital, doesn't anymore. Connections good. Odd.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Hi Sandfish,

Well, I know this is a stretch, & probably isn't the answer, but sometimes when I have a component that "used to work" properly & now doesn't, I will do this;

Power down, unplug the component & let sit unattended for a period of time. Maybe the internal "memory" somehow got locked in the "non-digital" position.

A wise man told me, not too long ago; "Everthing is a mini-computer these days", & sometimes things need to be "re-booted" to clear things up.

Believe it or not, I had a sat. receiver remote that got "locked", I thought it was done for. I was ready to purchase a new one from DTV, but when I was on the phone, they transferred me to tech support.

After removing the batt., & re-installing them, they then instructed me to press a sequence of buttons, & then point it at the receiver.

What do you know, it worked! With everything being a computer & needing to be re-booted periodically, I wonder how many items get tossed out when they just need to have the brain "refreshed"?

Just my .02

Comment

Working...