Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blank
    • Jun 2002

Mpeg Playback problem

hey, i have a 60mb mpeg video file but when i play it the video only runs for 26 seconds. wmp shows that the videos length is only 26 seconds BUT i know it is alot longer than that because if i pause and move the slider there is video different to what is in the first 26 seconds. did that make sense?
    anyway i have all major codecs needed and have tried alot of different players. if i check the properties of the file no codec is shown. i'm running win xp, 633mhz, 128mb ram and have had no troubles with playback before.

does anyone have any suggestions? any help would be appreciated. thanks

also if i try to open the file in virtualdub it says "this file is a zip file" but i tried renaming to .zip and extracting but it isnt a zip file.

edit : ok it plays with full length in real one player. its 6:31. why the hell would it only play in that?
    Last edited by Blank; 3 Jun 2002, 03:11 PM.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Could it be that the file is very near completion (ie. almost complete)? I had such a case with an AVI file. Resuming it to completion solved the problem. I know it shouldn't be the case with an MPEG file though. Try opening it in Virtualdub and post its file information here.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Use WMP 6.4. Is this possibly and mpeg-2 file, you can try a software dvd player.

Comment

• Blank
        • Jun 2002

the file is complete. i have tried it in wmp 6.4 with the same problem. it wont open in virtualdub it just says "this file is a zip file" but it isnt because i tried renaming to .zip and extracting.
        i edited the first post saying it played in real one player and that is still the only player that will show the whole video.

Comment

• nosferatu_net
          • May 2002

I had the very same problem with another MPEG-1 file.

In my case it was a binary merged copy of several mpegs.

There are many not-so-clever guys that use things like this:
          copy /b part1.mpg+part2.mpg+part3.mpg total.mpg
          hoping that it worked.

I also used to do it actually... before using TMPGEnc!

Comment

Working...